Logo

Merc200

porter1

Contributing Member
"what would a 1967 merc 200 in

"what would a 1967 merc 200 in good condition, runs good was repainted last year be worth say on ebay?"

"Mike, assume you mean a model

"Mike, assume you mean a model 200 (20 horse)???

If so, depending on the time of year have seen them sell for between 200 and 400 bucks on average..."

"thanks graham, yes a 20 horse

"thanks graham, yes a 20 horse, probably would get the most in the spring? dont you think?"

"Yes Mike, absolutely - especi

"Yes Mike, absolutely - especially if you are anywhere that boats are "winterized". By about March break guys are starting to dream about fishing again, by April they are gearing up

Most used 25 horse and under motors go up (sometimes double) in price in the early spring - simple demand..."

"hey graham, can you tell me i

"hey graham, can you tell me if points are still available for this 67 20 horse?"

"Mike, part has been discontin

"Mike, part has been discontinued by Merc - part number is 398-2320.

I believe someone else was looking (here) not too long ago and don't remember having luck finding it.

You could try www.oldmercs.com - even drop them an email and ask - might be your best bet..."

"hey graham, no luck finding p

"hey graham, no luck finding points, I guess I will have to try and clean the old ones. I havent looked at them yet, what is the best way to clean them? or should I just run it until it dies? runs good now. I will keep checking ebay."

"Mike, here is a quote about t

"Mike, here is a quote about the points on your motor.

High primary voltage in Thunderbolt ignitions will darken and roughen the points within a short period of time. Normally points in this condition should be replaced, but will work properly with a Thunderbolt ignition.

Do not replace these points unless an obvious malfunction exists. Test for continuity. If the resistance is zero when the points are closed, they are serviceable."

"I stopped buy a merc. dealer,

"I stopped buy a merc. dealer, he told me not to worry about the points, they dont go bad on these motors, only the coils if they go bad. also he told me to use 89 octane gas & seafoam all the time, is this true?"

"Mike the seafoam definately w

"Mike the seafoam definately won't hurt it and will help to keep things running clean. I have heard differing opinions on the 89 octane.

I have used it myself with my 9.9's and 15 horse and honestly never really noticed much of a difference other than the cost at the pump. Merc called for "any gas" with an octane of at least 85, but not 93 unless specifically called for in the model manual.

Gas mixed with Ethanol or Alcohol (called E10) which is commonly sold now loses it's octane rating quicker than the (old style) gas did, so maybe the dealer is thinking along those lines. (???)

The 89 may work for you if you don't mind spending the little extra - you will have to try and decide for yourself. I have long switched back to regular and had good results - I just run stablizer in my gas all the time and don't use if it's more than 2 weeks old (even with it stablized)...."

"Does the 1967-20hp have a con

"Does the 1967-20hp have a conventional magneto ( points, coils and condensers ) or some kind of electronic / semi electronic unit????"

"it has points coils & con

"it has points coils & condensers no electronics, everthing is available except the points, so I hope the never go bad, I dont know why, you can get points for motors made in the fortys and fifteys, my next motor will be a nissan, they make all the small mercs now anyway. so much for buying american."

"So it is not a " thunderb

"So it is not a " thunderbolt system " with maker points , just conventional.A new old stock set of points is worth how much to you??"

for anyone who maybe intereste

for anyone who maybe interested I found a marine supply in denver who has these points in stock. thanks anyway curious.

"Mike, would appreciate if you

"Mike, would appreciate if you post the name of the place - not for myself, but you are at least the 2nd guy I can remember looking for them.."

"crowley marine.com they are i

"crowley marine.com they are in denver, have many old merc. parts in stock, hard to believe."

"I know this a merc. board but

"I know this a merc. board but can anyone tell me what a 1955 johnson 25 hp. that runs is worth? I see one on ebay for around 100.00, are they worth fooling with? are parts still available?"

"Mike, price sounds about righ

"Mike, price sounds about right. Parts can still be found if you are looking for a "project". Ditto decals, original paint colours etc.

I have restored a few engines, mostly just cosmetically to go on display, but with a bit of work you could end up with a very functional engine - and it would look pretty cool too
"

Back