Logo

Electronic ignition

jt56

I just replaced my old ignitio

I just replaced my old ignition with an electronic ignition in my 1989 3.0. I used a thunderbolt coil running at 12 volts from the automatic choke wire and a put a module in the distributor. It started up and seemed to run very well. The next day I went to start it and it was very hard to start. With a good amount of cranking it finally started. It usually starts with one crank when it is cold. This morning it was very hard to start again. Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you set the timing? Did y

Did you set the timing? Did you add a wire from the choke to the coil or use an existing resistance wire?

"You might have to relocate th

"You might have to relocate that coil input. The choke is also using power, especially when the motor is cold, and that might reduce the avaiable voltage below what you need for a nice, hot spark.

Jeff"

"i would second Jeff and Guy&#

"i would second Jeff and Guy's notion that under cold start, the choke heater is consuming so much power that you might have reduced voltage to the coil - reducing your secondary spark voltage proportionately. Try measuring volts at the coil under cold crank. Then see what you get when taking power direct from the battery.

Also, depending on the type of electronic ignition, its either a light pickup or magnetic pickup. Check the clearance on that pickup mechanism. Just thoughts."

Thanks for the advice everyone

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to try these ideas over the weekend. I will let you know.

Worked on the ignition problem

Worked on the ignition problem and found the solution. It turns out that the choke plate was coincidently sticking and not closing when the engine was cold. I noticed at the end of the season it was not starting as well cold even with the old ignition. But I thought it was just the old points and condenser. I cleaned and losened up the plate and eveything was fine. I was thrown off track because I thought it had something to do with the electronic ignition I had just installed. Live and learn.

Back