Logo

Cummins Vs Detroit

gin_ricky

"I am the owner of a 46 Post w

"I am the owner of a 46 Post with twin Detroits (671TI @ 450HP each)with Capitol Transmissions. As both of these engines are of 1978 vintage they both require a full overhaul for approx. $50,000. Instead of having the Detroits overhauled I am contemplating replacing them with twin Recon Cummins (6CTA8.3 @ 430HP each)for around the same cost. My thinking is that if I purchase the Cummins the advantages are that I am getting a much more modern engine (1997), more quieter, compact & fuel efficient. Eventhough I am steeping down from 450HP each to 430HP each shouldn`t matter as the weight/power ration is much greater than the Detroits. Can anyone offer any valid reasons or past experiences as to why I should or shouldn`t proceed?"

"I would repower with Cummins

"I would repower with Cummins C series over the old Detriot 671s. The 671's are turbo, correct? The Cummins has a good reputation to my knowledge."

Did you ever make a desision,repowering theses days are foolish. There are so many vessels available out there you can find exactly what you need. As far as those detroits, I love em, Nothing runs smother, leave them where they are and rebiuld them. That price of fifty thousand is out of line! We do overhauls on both for about 12,000 ea. Cly. kits, brgs., inj. Heads, blowers, thermostats, complete inframe overhaul. (Oil pump water pump oil cooler, macanical govenor parts.?)

Back