Logo

1985 77 hp honda wonbt start

rocker

Just bought this motor was in

Just bought this motor was in storage for 7 yrs pulled carb and cleaned was very dirty put new plugs in getting good spark .When trying to start gas coming out air intake on front of carb no gas seems to be getting to plugs put some fuel in cylinders getting a little smoke out of carb but not firing pulled plugs and my friend who has never worked on 4 stroke only 2 stroke says it sucking air fine but compression stroke seems weak thinks it maybe timing or a valve problem

"O.K nobody has any ideas , wh

"O.K nobody has any ideas , what about putting atf in the cylinders to try and free up the valves and rings, i'm thinking valves maybe rusted and not seating, anybody try this or heard of doing this"

"Try taking the carb apart and

"Try taking the carb apart and soaking it in cleaner. I had to tear down my ten year old Honda carb 5 or 6 times until I got all the dirt out. Gas coming out air intake might be the float sticking.

Your friend thinks compression stroke is weak? Why not do a compression test? So you'll know. Much better to try the scientific approach rather than supposing. Also check to see if you have a spark.

I'm no expert. Just-In-Time is an expert. It does sound like complete tune-up time.
happy.gif
"

Check valve clearance before a

Check valve clearance before any more " I think it is this work "

"Found 1 of the light blue wir

"Found 1 of the light blue wires to the rectifier chewed in half spliced it back together and engine seems to be firing getting smoke out of carb when trying to start.[ have to put gas in the cylinders as no fuel getting there from carb.] Gas still coming out of breather on carb, im going to take it apart and clean it again tomorrow . And am going to get a compression tester from a guy from work. What is the rectifier for and would it prevent the motor from starting?"

Back