Logo

318 oil change

cdsdave

"Hi, I want to change the oil

"Hi, I want to change the oil in my 318 but am not sure where to add the oil. I have removed the old oil with a pump through the dip stick. Do I fill through the dip stick as well? Thanks in advance for your help."

"Unless the gremils have been

"Unless the gremils have been at work, there should be a screw in cap in one of your valve covers.

Jeff"

"Hi Guys,
I'm a new membe

"Hi Guys,
I'm a new member and have just acquired a 32 ft. Luhrs with twin-318 Chryslers. One of them had run fine this past spring (part of my pre-purchase agreement.) Now, as I prepared to winterize it I found that the crankcase was full of a thick grey soup. It had the consistency of a milkshake. I assume it has water and antifreeze mixed with it and am trying to track down the source. When I first tried to start this engine, this past spring, the engine labored to turn over, even with a hot battery. I pulled the plugs and found a couple to be rusty, on the same side and probably next to each other. I later found out that the owner had the startes reversed, so the engine was turning in the wrong direction. I switched the starters, but the engine still labored and even with the plugs out was hard to turn by hand. I squirted wd-40 in the cylinders, thinking the rings were rusted and sticking. I turned the enging over with the starter. It freed up some so I repeated the process a few times. I let it crank so as to push out the wd-40. I replaced the plugs and it turned over. It ran for quite a while till hot then I shut it down. After it cooled I pulled the plugs to see if any water had entered the cylinders, but found none. Thinking all was fine, I left it be and went sailing for the summer.
I am afraid of starting the engine without correcting the possible problem. Oh, I almost forgot; when I originally checked the engine before buying it, the expansion tank coolant was low. I filled it at the time to 1" from the top of the filler cap. Now, again, the the coolant level is low.
Could the thick grey soup in the crancase be a combo of wd-40 and oil?
I pulled the exhaust manifolds off; the one side has rust in it. I'm pulling the engine and will pressure test the coolant system and will leak test the exhaust manifolds with diesel fuel.
Any suggestions on how to procede.
Thanks,
Dave"

.."I'm pulling the eng

.."I'm pulling the engine and will pressure test the coolant system and will leak test the exhaust manifolds "

Good plan. I'll bet the manifolds are leaking right into those two cylinders that had the bad plugs.

Went through this myself on my port engine this summer. Three cylinders were so loaded with water the motor locked on the starter.

Sound familiar?

Jeff

"Hi guys,

Incredible! I wen

"Hi guys,

Incredible! I went searching on the net for info as I have the same exact experience as Dave with my 318. I was worried that a novice had run the boat I just bought on eBay with the sea cock closed and cracked the head/block. Do you it's possible that some new gaskets on the intake/exhaust might fix this problem? I had water leaking from the intake gasket last time it ran but seemed to have great compression and just purred.

Justin"

Back