Logo

95 Force 120 Parts question

J

jav1968

Does my 1995 Force 120 hp use

Does my 1995 Force 120 hp use a Merc Stator and Trigger ???

"It orignally came with a stat

"It orignally came with a stator designed for the Force. That part was discontinued, but you can use a Merc stator to retrofit (and the appropriate trigger - Merc can advise).

Here is a chart from a Merc service bulletin..

115669.jpg
"

"Preliminary tests can be done

"Preliminary tests can be done with an ohm meter - that will at least tell you if the windings are intact.

Secondary testing must be done with either a DVA meter or a multi-meter with a DVA adapter - not something that most guys would have hanging around in the garage.

I do have some troubleshooting guidelines in pdf format - if you click my name and drop me an email (just make your motor the subject - my memory isn't great and I get alot of requests) and will be happy to send it along to you...

All in all, I have found these stators to be fairly durable. Much more common ignition problems on Force motors in order of "most common":

Faulty connections - wire is brittle, connectors suck

CDI boxes (blue or black) - poor design, prone to fail and super expensive to replace

Coils - blue or black

Sensor (trigger) - can cause "phantom" problems, when they go they work when they feel like it making troubleshooting a nightmare - also have very tiny wires that are prone to snapping off - CDI makes a fantastic replacement part if this is the issue..."

Back