Logo

1989 Johnson 110HP Overheating

"Honestly not quite sure, exce

"Honestly not quite sure, except for sealing purpose and probably for keeping the cup pressured against the center of the impeller to prevent leakage up the shaft. In some newer impeller kits there is even an o-ring to be put UNDER the impeller. Normally the kits has installation guides that might be different from above pic, follow the guides they are normally of newer dates."

Is iTem 8 Seal (in water p

Is iTem 8 Seal (in water pump pic)just a rubber O-Ring?

I have an O-Ring seal that fits over the drive shaft I took out but do not recall where it came from.

HELP??

I just read your previosu post

I just read your previosu post - re: seal under impeller - i guess this it - what I am referring to...?

WIll play...

Cam

Unless it is the o-ring on top

Unless it is the o-ring on top of the drive shaft just under the splines?
Do NOT forget that one!!!!!! (pos '73')

"Also, when I refer to the Low

"Also, when I refer to the Lower Engine Cover Schematic (not above but in BRP Catalogue), Item 26 - best way to fit these frame seals?

Do I need to have the bottom cowl off?

I find this frame seal very hard to put on and need your help."

"Are You talking aboy the ther

"Are You talking aboy the thermostat cover and seals??? (14,32,37)
Take a couple of small tie-straps/string and tie them all together. (carefull with the gaskets).
Screws must be inserted.
Some bit of hazzle to wiggle it in with the springs, but normally it goes.
Dont forget to remove the tie-straps/string before tightening the screws!"

"Sorry, just checked the BRP c

"Sorry, just checked the BRP catalog, Lower engine cover.
You will have to loosen the lower cover If You want to change thoose. 4 screws only (10), but the rear ones are normally rather corroded and might need heat!!"

Re: Item 73 _ I concur. I hav

Re: Item 73 _ I concur. I have replaced thi sseal also. THe previous one appeared to have lost it's elasticity and was not really a tight fit - would this loose fit have any impact on engine performance?

Re: Item 26 Frame seals - what is the procedure to fit them - do I undo lower cover then fit seals then bolt up lower cover?

Virtaully zero clearance (in fact interferance)exist between lower cover and bottom of powerhead - Frustrating!

Cam

Water Pump now installed.

H

Water Pump now installed.

Heads are also back on (torqued up)

I have some questions about those Coil Assy units (Item 32)(4 off 1/cylinder) (on Ignition System Schematic BRP Cat.).

Which way do they bolt onto head?

Cam

They are from factory bolted w

They are from factory bolted with leads pointing backwards. However I have sometimes experienced problems with the lower coils and spark-jumps to the lower cover latch and turned them the other way.
Use electric contact grease on the terminals.

"Technically it does not matte

"Technically it does not matter which way You put them on. Just be sure no metal parts may create spark-jumps. That contacts are clean, no cracks in rubber boots etc and that the plug wires are properly clamped to the heads so You do not risk ripping them out when taking on/off the cover. I used to put the lower ones with the 'flat' part backwards and cables to front."

Results are in boys!

Re-ass

Results are in boys!

Re-assembled everything and started with ear muffs on.

Bad news - the heads are piping hot - despite no alarm.

I ran at idle for about 15mins.

Thoughts on why the heads are hot?

The thermostat assy was double checked before installed.

Water pump piss hole flow very storng.

I am thinkign now it could be timing out?

Thoughts???
Cam

"Get rid of the muffs and try

"Get rid of the muffs and try a barrel. Water ABOVE waterpump!
What do You mean by 'piping hot'.
With Your hand on top of the cylinder banks they should be 'barely to touch'.
In the exhaust relief holes at the back of the leg, is the waterflow constant from both holes, or can You notice difference as thermostats opends and closes?
Are the heads equal 'hot'?"

I have tried the barrel - same

I have tried the barrel - same result.

piping bot - aussie expression sorry.

What does 'barely to touch' mean?

I could probably leave my hand on for about 2 secs max.

I don't think I saw any waterflow out of the holes at all - mind you i was not looking at those holes - but will try again and look at the holes - how long should i wait until water starts coming out of these holes? What is implied if i see no water coming out of those holes?

How do i know when the t-stats opens and closes?

The heads appear equally hot - no heat gun with me sorry.

Another person on another forum suggest i go back and remove the t-stat assy and re-install without the t-stats in. Your thoughts on this ?

Cam

"OK - just ran it again.

Th

"OK - just ran it again.

There is a good consistent even flow of water coming out of a set of six holes (on each side)just above the prop/gear box in the bottom part of the leg - are these the exahst ports?

I thouhgt the exhaust ports wer up much higher just below the powerhead cowling...

Maybe I am being too fussy and maybe this het I am seeing is normal??? I can touch up to 3 secs.

The water pump outlet flow is the strongest I have ever seen/felt. This flow is also warm.

Maybe this unit is workign properly now in terms of heat flow distribution??

Dumb question - are the head supposed to feel hot after idle?

Before rebuild, the heads were cooler at idle and the piss hole flow was cooler and weaker.

Appreciate your input.

Cam"

"It sounds to me that it is wo

"It sounds to me that it is working!
The alarm did not go off because the engine did not get that hot.
Providing the alarm works?
Running on muffs You may not get any water out of the by-pass holes as there is no back-pressure, the water just goes down and gets drained out the six holes and through the prop.
The engine runs hotter at idle than at full speed, yes the heads will be rather hot after idle shortly after shut-down as water gets drained out.
With new thermostats and valves the engine water temp will be higher, as will the pee-water which is taken from exhaust cover. That temp should equal engine temp!!! If too cold, it means water is passing too quick through the system and leaking by thermostats.
DO NOT REMOVE THERMOSTATS!!!!!!!!!
I would drop it in the sea and take a test run, but test the alarm-system first."

Why does engine water temp wat

Why does engine water temp water and pee hole water get higher with new thermostats and valves?

A definte change has taken place with hotter idle - from what you are saying this is good thing is this right?

I wil ltest the alarm.

Are those six holes the exahsut hoels you referred to earlier?

What by-pass holes (from back pressure) ar eyou referring to?

How could thermostats leak?

Cam

"As mentioned the pee water is

"As mentioned the pee water is taken from the exhaust cover before thermostats and pressure valves. If any of those are leaking or thermostats opends at lower temp, the water in the block will either circulate too quick and engine does not reach correct temp, or thermostats opends too early. As by now, providing You have put in the thermostats the right way and pressure valves are sealing, no water will leak out at idle until engine reaches operating temp, except for the small bleed hole. Hopefully You now has even temp at both heads?
The exhaust relief holes I referred to are at the rear of the leg, just below cover '6'. When at sea those holes must be above water line or the exhaust back-pressure will be to big for the engine to start. When You start at sea You will even se some water being sprayed out with the exhaust at those holes as thermostats opends and closes.
The holes You are referring to lets some exhaust/water pass out to reduce the exhaust-pressure at higher speed when in water or running on muffs, which I'm not too fond of!
Thermostats may leak for several resons, normally if they does not close properly. Another if not seated and sealed off properly - remember the question about the gasket in front You said was too thick?"

"Hi,

WOuld you think my t-s

"Hi,

WOuld you think my t-stats are leaking depsite that thick cork gasket I put infront. Remember you recommended I go ahead and insert them as they will become depressed when installed.

Cam"

To answer your question then a

To answer your question then about the exhaust relief holes with water coming out - Answer no water coming out.

Cam

"Your quote: "Running on m

"Your quote: "Running on muffs You may not get any water out of the by-pass holes as there is no back-pressure, the water just goes down and gets drained out the six holes and through the prop. "

Where are these by-pass holes located?"

"Relief-holes locations answer

"Relief-holes locations answered above.
Pump is not self-priming, no water and You burn the impeller.
Waiting for result of watertest."

Thanks Curious -

Moreton h

Thanks Curious -

Moreton has been very helpful inparticular.

I rely on this forum alot because I am in a very isolated part of Australia.

Splash

Forgot Your leaking t-stat que

Forgot Your leaking t-stat question:
The reason for Your T-stats NOT leaking is among others that You installed the gaskets.

GO BOATING!

THansk Moerton.

WIll my 17&

THansk Moerton.

WIll my 17"P prop cause overheating/damage to my engine?

I have no other prop on me ATM.

THis prop was installed by a dealer without my knowledge it may not be suitable....

Cameron

Back