Logo

Dexron II transmission oil

R

Richard Roberts

I want to change my Velvet Dri

I want to change my Velvet Drive transmission fluid. The manual specifies Dexron II. I am unable to find Dexron II. Does anyone know of a source?

"Rick, I have always heard tha

"Rick, I have always heard that it is not a good idea to change fluid in an older automatic trans in a car, sometimes they never work as good again. What about in a velvet drive, any risk of a similar situation when changing fluid in one about 30years old with 200+hrs?"

"Just broken in! Be DAMN sure

"Just broken in! Be DAMN sure to get that thing FULL before using it. The 'full' mark on the stick is only valid after the trans is up to temperature. It should read way above full when cold.

Jeff

PS: Since the trans takes only 2 quarts of fluid, being a half quart low will destroy the trans!"

"JB, Who ever told you that i

"JB, Who ever told you that is misinformed. How can it ever be better to keep running the same old metal laden burned fluid rather than new, clean, fresh lubricant?

Richard, like Jeff said, make sure it is full, you didn't mention the model, but the very common 630/63A gears use 3 1/2 qts.), and make sure you install a new filter.

Rick"

All of your suggestions are he

All of your suggestions are helpful. My major problem is finding Dexron II fluid. I have asked at automotive stores and all they have is Dexron III. Thought that I had better stick to the manufacturers recommendation of Dexron II. Where can I find Dexron II?

"You can not. It has been rep

"You can not. It has been replaced with the new and improved Dextron III. Dextron II has not been manufactured for about two years, maybe longer. Read the label. It states clearly that is to be used in place of Dextron and Dextron II. Trust me, it's OK."

Hi Gang

I have Walter V-Dri

Hi Gang

I have Walter V-Drives in our 454 powered Silverton and I believe Borg Warner transmissions.

My goal is to switch to all synthetic fluids: ATF in the trans and 30W oil in the v-drives. Are there filters to these units I am not seeing?

"Al, You must have a 312 or a

"Al, You must have a 312 or a 362. Neither the Walters V-drive unit,or the B/W Velvet Drive 5000 or the 71/72C gear has a filter.

Silverton has since switched to exclusively Hurth/ZF gears on their gas boats, which do have a replacable filter."

"Thanks, At least I know the m

"Thanks, At least I know the maintenance I do give it is not faulted by a dirty filter."

"Can someone help me? I have

"Can someone help me? I have a pair of B/W transmissions in a boat I just purchased. I'd like to change the fluid in them. What is the procedure? Should the oil be hot or cold? 1:1 ratio connected to a v-drive. Also, what type of oil is used in vdrive? It looks like engine oil."

Back