Logo

90hp Johnson OMC 2000 model

wocky1963

"Hi, I'm having trouble wi

"Hi, I'm having trouble with my motor when i go over 3000 revs. I changed plugs, fuel filter and still having problem. Had a mechanic check it while at sea and he said it was the computor. I never knew there was a computor on this motor. Does he mean power pack? and does this unit cost about $540.00 AUS to buy. Can I change it or does it have to be done by a specialized mechanic.
Rocky"

"It is a 2 stroke 60 degree V,

"It is a 2 stroke 60 degree V, 4 cylinder, loop-charged, 90hp Johnson outboard.I'm having trouble with my motor when i go over 3000 revs. I changed plugs, fuel filter and still having problem. Had a mechanic check it while at sea and he said it was the computor. I never knew there was a computor on this motor. Does he mean power pack? and does this unit cost about $540.00 AUS to buy. Can I change it or does it have to be done by a specialized mechanic. Someone said to me it might be your water or impellor pump or the diode in the harness for the "slow" warning system if the motor reaches a certain tempreture on this type of motor. I don't know who to believe."

Rocky
That motor does not hav

Rocky
That motor does not have a computer as such.
It does have a powerpack in it.
You say you are having trouble with it over 3000rpm.. What exact trouble are you having.. What rpm are you getting at wide open throttle.
Has this motor been compression tested? $540 Aus is a little high.. but expect to pay close to that for either a stator or a powerpack here in Aus.

Rocky...Morten ringvold is in

Rocky...Morten ringvold is in the loop on your problem...he is asking for more info on the problem...so is tony..i would suggest you start by checking compression and the get back to them with a better description of the problem..does the motor run good up to 3000 rpm...exactly what does the failure feel like?does it miss over 3000 or is it going to 3000 and still running ok?any other symptoms?bad idle..hard start etc?also please include the serial number on next post...there are many different 90 hp johnsons year 2000..the serial number will reveal model..features...where it was built etc....i dont know about australian prices but a stator in the U.S. is under 300 and the power pack is a little over 100 U.S... rate is about 89 cents on the U.S dollar... go from there..i would not change either until more diagnostic time is spent on motor..at this time you dont know if its fuel or electronics or mechanical..it may be as simple as timing advance...there are people on here to help you..good luck..Carl

"Motor Model BJ90VXSS
Serial

"Motor Model BJ90VXSS
Serial Number 4863459
Guys, After reading the manual on this it expalins it has a safe mode protection. It goes on to say it could be one of three things. A faulty diode, The impellor needs changing or the power pack has gone. This safe mode is when the engine recieves a signal from the temp sender to prevent the engine from over heating. I think i will have it diagnostically checked in a test tank under load to pin point the problem otherwise i could be changing all three items. I know it is not fuel problem as the pumping bolb is hard when fuel is being delivered and would have problem at all revs not just over 2500-3000rpm.
Whats your thoughts on this!"

Back