Logo

Hiawatha

msmcm

"I got a 5hp Hiawatha, and wou

"I got a 5hp Hiawatha, and would like some information about its age, and who the manufacturer really is/was. The numbers for the motor are, serial no. 61031 and Model no. 25-3260.

I haven't been able to find out any/much information about Hiawatha motors except that they may have been built by many different manufacturers, including eski, Scott-Atwater, OMC an maybe others. It seems that several companies sold motors under the Hiawatha name.

This motor was purchased new by my uncle, but I don't have any information or paper work on it.

I would also like to know if parts are available, and what fuel:eek:il ratio, and spark plugs are best suited to this motor.

TIA Mark"

"Mark, I have some fairly exte

"Mark, I have some fairly extensive lists but can not nail down the exact year of your motor.

I am fairly certain that it was built by Gale (OMC), probably in the late 40's (47/48), but can't get that model number to match up exactly (but it is a Gale style number - the Scott-Atwater and Eska model numbers didn't look like that).

I don't have a reference for the plugs, but the oil mix will be 24:1. You can use regular unleaded and TCW-3 rated 2 cycle outboard oil.

You may want to replace the gas hoses (engine side) as some of the older ones don't fair so well with the alcohol/ethanol in the gas nowadays...."

"Graham,

Thanks for the inf

"Graham,

Thanks for the information, I agree, from the numbers that I found, the 3260 doesn't seem to match up too well, especially taking the hp into consideration.

I'm going to clean her up a best as can be and try to use it next year.

Thanks

Mark"

"Mark, yes, that's the pro

"Mark, yes, that's the problem I had - and I have an excellent Gale listing. The model number is much more like what they hung on the 3 horse Hiawatha's - but did see a reference to that model in a 5 horse - just not enough to determine the year..

Good luck with the motor..."

Back