Logo

Gale buccaneer 5 hp 1962

"Many thanks Graham,
this mot

"Many thanks Graham,
this motor has been in my shed for the past 20 years! Ive now go myself a new small boat and decided to resurrect the gale, iam not getting a spark on the bottom cylinder, i suspect the coil as it looks in a bad way,do you know if Evinrude parts fit,I live in Somerset/England parts may be difficult to get.cheers Phil."

"Hi Phil:
Parts for ignition,

"Hi Phil:
Parts for ignition, carburetor and gearcase are readily available from any Johnson/Evinrude dealer or aftermarket from this site. After being stored for that length of time, I would completely redo the ignition, clean and put a kit in the carb and replace the water pump impeller.( gear oil too)If you have any "how to" questions, feel free to ask.
Regards
George"

"hi George,
many thanks for t

"hi George,
many thanks for the info.How hard a job is replacing
the water pump impeller?I'll let you know how it goes with the rest .cheers for now Phil."

"Hi Phil:
To replace the impe

"Hi Phil:
To replace the impeller you need to remove the powerhead. This will give you access to the shift rod connection. Remove the two brass nuts and lockwasher from the rod which is attached to a bellcrank on the shifter. Next you will see a seal assembly on the drive shaft, slide it off the shaft and mark down the order which the pieces came off. After the seal is removed you will see a pin crossways through the driveshaft.(it retains the seal assembly)the pin should align with a slot in the mid-section casting in order for the gearcase to be removed. With the gearcase in neutral, you can move the D/S by hand to align the pin. Do not pull up on the shaft! Now remove the 4 bolts which attach the gearcase to the mid-section and remove it.Once you have the geacase off, the driveshat pin must be removed so that the WP impeller and housing can be taken off. There is also a pin(slip fit into the shaft) that retains the impeller. Put it in a safe place once removed.Usually the impeller housing is OK to reuse, but check the wear plate for warpage and deep gouges. Replace the impeller and the water tube grommet on the housing.
Good luck
George"

Back