Logo

Mystery Smoke

spker

Just bought a 78 Carver 2566 w

Just bought a 78 Carver 2566 with rebuilt Merc 228 stern drive. Motor has only 30 hours on it but was not used for a year when I bought it. At around 2000 rpm smoke begins to show around the transom. (Im new to boating so forgive my freshman explanantion of this problem) No smoke in the engine compartment. Also the smoke comes in waves starts then stops. Gets worse at higher rpms and almost non existent below 2000 At the same time engine revs up and down rpms jump 2-300. Besides this boat seems to run strong just inconsistent
Any insights would be greatly appreciated but mostly concerned Im not damaging motor
THANKS
Michael

One last thing. When I check t

One last thing. When I check the oil it registers on the stick almost a half inch above the full line. Could this contribute to either of the above issues?

"Welcome Michael:

If you ch

"Welcome Michael:

If you checked the oil while in the water then it has too much oil in it or it has inhaled some water to raise the oil level. Who & when was the oil put in it?

To check for water take a gallon milk jug and cut it just high enough on one side to put it under the oil pan drain plug so you can easily remove the plug and remove the jug w/o spilling while keeping the handle to pull the jug up and out. With oil NOT HOT remove the oil drain plug slowly so you DON'T DROP IT.

If no water comes out drain some of the oil and reinstall plug. Check the dipstick level. Repeat until it is at the max. level on the stick.

IF WATER COMES OUT PUT THE PLUG BACK IN AND CALL THE SELLER AND RAISE THE QUESTION OF HOW IT GOT IN THERE.

PUMP ALL OF THE MIXTURE OUT, REPLACE THE OIL (5 - 6 QUARTS) AND CHANGE THE FILTER. Start with 4 quarts of oil in the pan and prime the oil filter. GET BACK TO US IF YOU FIND WATER."

I dont know if its smoke or st

I dont know if its smoke or steam. It did start weeks ago when quite warm here in Alabama. Seems to get worse as I throttle up. Does not have that "oily" smell and again no smoke in engine box. My condern is the reving up and down of the motor. Does this at any rpm above 2000 and more so at high rpm. Guy's suggestion of draining some oil off was my first thought and will try this first. But based on this info does anyone have an opinion about possible damage. I like this old boat but dont want to have to have it serviced if no need - Thanks for all your help!!!!!
Michael

Back