Logo

Help my volvo 302 ford engine is seized

"Jim,

Regarding manifolds,

"Jim,

Regarding manifolds, you may want to go for center rise.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-1998-1&returntopag e=80240437.htm

Risers: depending on your exhaust Y-pipe shape, either this

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-1999&returntopage= 80240437.htm

or this

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-1907&returntopage= 80240437.htm

Regarding the fresh water kit, I would not recommend to install it on a block and heads that have been running on salt water.

If you tear apart the engine, I think you should magnaflux heads and block to make sure they are not cracked. If the block is bad, you may consider replacing it with a 351.

I would also stick to carb and not EFI (fewer problems). Make sure you install the goosenecks if they were not installed.

Engine manual: Between Clymer and Seloc, I would get Seloc."

"El,

Here is a couple of pi

"El,

Here is a couple of pictures of the manifolds. the exhaust hooks up at the rear with a 90 degree elbow going down. Also, I pulled the valve cover and the head says 351.

By the way, the engine has really never been run in salt water.

Jim
115807.jpg
115808.jpg
"

"Jim - Ford produced a 351W he

"Jim - Ford produced a 351W head from 69 thru 78 I think and then from 79 on they produced a big combustion chamber smog head and used the same head on 302 and 351 engines. If your 74 boat has the original 302, then some one has put those 351W heads on it, which is an old hot rod trick for 289/302s before all the aftermarket heads became available. That might also explain the non-marine carb you have on the engine. The 351W heads do increase airflow on these engines with slightly bigger ports and bigger valves, but you would see the greatest improvement at 5000 rpm and up, RPM where a boat engine never runs. If you already have the 351W heads, freshen them up and use them. Send me the casting ID marks from the heads under the valve covers and I'll try and identify them for you before you get them off the engine. There are some other ID numbers under the intake runners, but you have to remove the heads to see them. I've been playing with old school SBF for a number of year's, send me the numbers and I'll see if I can help you.

Gilbert"

"Thanks, Gilbert. Actually I

"Thanks, Gilbert. Actually I bought the boat new it new in 1974 from a Glastron dealer and have owned it ever since. I have never changed anything on it except the distributor. It has 200 hp on the valve cover. I notice that this is slightly more than the comparable Mercruisers that I see at 188.

I have always been satisfied with its performance max speed about 45 mph but wondered where one could get a bit more horsepower on the higher end. I have heard that marine carburetors, camshafts, and distributors are a special animal.

Jim"

"Jim-

The marine engine com

"Jim-

The marine engine components are typically configured to make as much torque as possible below 5000rpm.

I have an AQ231B/285 outdrive but am a Ford guy, so I'm very interested in your application.

3G9 is a casting date code that says 3rd day of July 1969 based on the part and the year of your boat. If the head has 351 cast into it as you stated above, then it should be the early 351W head casting. This is very interesting as this would seem to be a unique OEM marine application of 351W heads on a 302 shortblock. Also a 1969 casting showing up in a 1974 boat would seem to be a long time apart. Must have been a very slow boat to Sweden.Could you send some pictures of the numbers cast into the cylinder head?

What RPM did this engine turn at your top speed quoted above? Also, what type and size prop were you running?

Thanks, Gilbert"

"Gilbert,

Attached is a bro

"Gilbert,

Attached is a brochure provided by Dane Anderson that might clear up some of the mystery. From another forum I also found a fellow who got around 300 hp from his 302. As I recall the engine was turning around 4600 rpm using a 14 x 19 prop (standard volvo).

Thanks,

Jim
115868.jpg
"

"Jim-

The brochure is scann

"Jim-

The brochure is scanned at a resolution that I can't read the small text.

An experienced friend of mine in confirmed that yes certain marine 302s were factory assembled with 351w heads in the 70's.

The whole HP/Engine RPM and boat speed is a complicated situation, which is why I always ask people about their boats performance.

HP is probably the biggest inaccurate number because unless you've had the engine on a dyno, you really don't know how much HP/Torque it really makes. In addition to that if your looking at top speed information the only HP numbers that matter are the ones at your top speed RPM.

If the 302 you mentioned makes 300HP at 5800 RPM but the boat is propped to max RPM at 4600, then it's putting out a lot less than 300hp at the lower 4600 rpm.

The 305 Chevy that I run that is rated at 231HP(AQ231B)(and its got 400 hard hours on it)needs a 14 x 21 prop to get the rpm down to 4600, so I really doubt that his engine is making 300 hp at 4600rpm. The boat is a 20' bowrider and goes 44 to 49 indicated mph depending on load, water, etc. A 14 x 19 prop allows it to rpm 5100 to 5200 but the indicated speed is about the same.

You stated that your Glastron runs about 45 mph which seems about right for that size boat and a factory 302 engine. That's why I was curious as to what kind of RPM and what size prop you were using.

Thanks - Gilbert"

"Gilbert,

The engine says i

"Gilbert,

The engine says it is 200 hp on the valve cover. It is running a 14x19 prop. I don't know what it should run in rpms. Is 4600 a good rpm to run?

I would like to add some horsepower just for the heck of it if I am going to rebuild the engine.

Jim"

Back