Logo

WONT STAY RUNNING

stevewat

"REPOWERED IN JUNE 07 LONG BLO

"REPOWERED IN JUNE 07 LONG BLOCK 87 SEA RAY 350
NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS SINCE. NEW STARTER,COIL , ALTANATOR , IGNITION SWITCH ,AND AMPLIFTER ,
STILL SHUTS DOWN AFTER 5-10 MIN OF RUNNING.
TIRED OF BRING BACK TO SHOP ANY HELP?"

"You seem to have a thermal el

"You seem to have a thermal electric problem or a fuel loss problem. What does the optic sensor look like under the distributor rotor? If it is rusted, it could be your problem. Is there spark when it quits? What color is it? Good fuel squirt in the carb.? Did you switch to elec. fuel pump? Kinked fuel vent hose? Choke working?"

"Steve
You have had a shocker

"Steve
You have had a shocker as we say.
Lets go back to the begining and fill in the pieces a bit better.
You say still shuts down, was this your original problem ?
Give us as much info as you can, it makes it much easier to diagnose, remember we are not there to see it for ourselves.
Cheers
Peter C"

ORIGINAL PROBLEM WAS BENT PUSH

ORIGINAL PROBLEM WAS BENT PUSH ROD AND RING GEAR
SO I HAD SOME HOURS ON ENGINE JUST THOUGHT I REPOWER WHILE ENGINE WAS OUT. GOING DOWN TODAY TO RUN A FEW TEST.I'L LET YOU KNOW LATER HOW IT TURNED OUT. THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONCE GUYS
STEVE

"Check the gas tank vent hose

"Check the gas tank vent hose for a sag. That happened to me once and like to have driven me up the wall. Motor would start and idle fine but when I accelerated (bow high - gas from full or near full tank running into the vent hose) the motor would sputter to a halt. After about ten minutes of cranking, checking, (took the fuel pump off once out on the river), nothing helped - then it would start and repeat the process. Finally, I saw the vent hose had a sag in it, took it loose and sure enough gas ran out of it. The tank couldn't vent and so the pump couldn't draw against the vacuum in the tank. Simple solution - tied the vent hose up with a string and no more problem. Moral - look for the simple things first. Think about the problem and imagine the possible causes, simple to complicated. Good luck. JW in Dixie"

Back