1966 Clinton J9

T

TammyHillman

I have recently came across a

I have recently came across a 1966 Clinton Outboard Motor and
I have no information on this unit at all and I can\'t find anything out
about it. Do you have a diagram of this units parts and the unit
itself? This unit is a J-9 Serial #63544 Type: 13-14-9-6-0-7 Would
also like to know what this type means on it. And also what the oil mixture is for this unit. Anyones help would be greatly appreciated

"Can't give you alot of in

"Can't give you alot of information, but can pass along this.

Clinton built the J9 model between 1959-65. In 66 they called it the Chief J9 and then various other J9 versions were produced up until 1969.

All of the J9's were single cylinder, 5 horse, air-cooled engines with more in common with a lawnmower than a major brand outboard.

In fact, you should mix at 24:1 using regular 2 cycle engine oil (for lawnmowers/chainsaws) and NOT Marine outboard oil.

It may be possible to find a manual for this motor at www.discount-marine-parts.com They carry manauls for alot of the old/discontinued lines.

Although, given that a manual costs about 35 bucks and these motors sell all over for usually alot less than 100 (and usually around 50), perhaps continued web searches and questions on some of the other marine boards may answer anything you need to ask - this is very much a 5 horse lawnmower engine, and most books that deal with small air-cooled engines would apply (for the powerhead portion anyhow)...."

Back