Logo

Gap fillers

gibletts

"Sorry this is a bit off the e

"Sorry this is a bit off the engine topic but someone might be able to help.

I have just replaced the floor in my boat with a sheet of plywood, just screwed it down on top of the old glass skin because it was becomming a bit dosey. When I get around to it I will put down some carpet over the top of it.

Now here comes my question, if you imagine a square edge of ply butting into the side of the hull (glass) which is on an angle you are left with a triangular shaped gap. I need to fill this with something otherwise there is nothing to fix the crapet to and water will sit in in the gap.

What are peoples considered opinions as a suitable filler? (not structural just has to fill the gap)I considered epoxy, automotive type fillers, silicone oe even that expanding foam (polyeurothene i think) that builders use. Also I might laminate with fibreglass over it so it needs to be resistant to epoxy or polyesther etc.

thanks dm"

"Do NOT do that! The plywood

"Do NOT do that! The plywood will eventually crack the hull at that spot.

The only safe way to do that is to thoroughly glass in the plywood to the hull on BOTH sides.

Jeff (former f-glass kit car builer. See below.)

115330.jpg
Lightnin' GTs

"Good point, though I have lef

"Good point, though I have left about 1/2 inch between edge of ply and actual hull, thats why I figured a "semi compressible" type filler was the way to go?"

Back