Logo

Boat engine in a car hmmm

1stboat

Regular Contributor
"i've been reading on here

"i've been reading on here that car engines can't go in boats unless they're marineized. how about the other way around. can you put a boat engine in a car? not that i want to, just asking as a topic of discussion. i assume it would have whole boatload of torque. anyway, what do you guys think?"

I heard the old L81 Corvette e

I heard the old L81 Corvette engines were made by Mercruiser. Don't know if they were marine engines though.

"only problem with this theory

"only problem with this theory is the volvo car part. if this is a v8/v6 you'll get some extra torque, power. make good truck motors. if it's a volvo engine, (4 cyl.) it's basicaly a car engine in a boat, and you will gain nothing."

"Actually, some of the Volvo P

"Actually, some of the Volvo Penta engines do have forged crankshafts rather than cast crankshafts. That can be a gain if, like the turbobricks folks, one is after running an engine at higher loads."

"Also most marine engines that

"Also most marine engines that I have seen do not have a vacuum advance. Most likely the advance curve is different. If you put an automotive distributor in a marine engine and hook up the vacuum advance it may not run properly, not sure though.

Have a great day,

Rob."

Back