Logo

1985 DT85 Suzuki trying to restore from sitting up for 2 yrs

philt

"Have new gasoline, replaced g

"Have new gasoline, replaced gearlube in the lower unit, also replaced the water pump. The question is: Even before I replaced the water pump, when running, water comes out of the bottom of the EXHAUST COVER on the side of the powerhead and into the bottom of the motor housing and then drains out. Is this normal for this motor? Any ideas?"

"I have a 1986 DT-85 and the w

"I have a 1986 DT-85 and the water leak is abnormal. You will need to get a gasket for the exhaust cover and replace it. Water is not supposed to come out there. Mine was sitting up 4 years before I bought it in July. You should also replace the fuel pump diaphragm and take the carbs off and clean them. You should also change the oil in the injection tank for fresh oil, fill it up then make a mark on the tank with a Sharpie. Then premix your gas 50:1 until you are sure that the injection system is working. When I replaced my water pump, I also replaced the seal where the water tube goes into the pump. One last thing: check the fuel filter on the motor just below and to the right of the #3 spark plug."

"Thanks for the info. I have r

"Thanks for the info. I have removed and cleaned the fuel filter. That all sounds like very good advice, especially the pre-mix of gas until I know that the injector is working! Again thanks for your response."

Back