Logo

Changing a right hand propr to a left hand prop

beeeman

What is the proceedure for cha

What is the proceedure for changing the prop from right hand to left hand on a 131A with a 270 outdrive?
& can someone explain to me what the difference is & why they make them interchangable?

"remove he rear cover. change

"remove he rear cover. change the link rod to the other side of the shifter. the upper pin will not come all the way out, but in gear there should be clearance to remove it with the rod."

"is it possible to get a pictu

"is it possible to get a picture of what this looks like, i have just pruchased another outdrive with a left hand prop on it & when i look at them side by side they both look the exact same when i remove the back cover. please someone show me the proper way to set this up for a left hand prop.
thanks
Rick"

Thought I would just jump in h

Thought I would just jump in here for a question that has come to my mind.In regards to the position of the selector for right hand & left hand rotation.I remember that when I was look at my connection it seems different.my prop is a 15 x 17 left hand and my connection is as "b".Is mine connect correctly it seems to go allright or am I not getting the speed I suppose to get.280 leg.

"Stan, if the position was not

"Stan, if the position was not correct you would go backwards when atempting to go forward, and vice versa. There is nothing in between."

"First things first. The remot

"First things first. The remote cable coming from the shift box needs to push or extend for forward gear on any AQ series drive. This is a must, as if it were to pull it would lock the S/D down in forward. Now if the verticle SS linkage arm with pin in the top and cotter pin in the bottom is on the port or left side it should be swinging a RIGHTHAND prop. If it's on the starboard or right side it should be swinging a LEFTHAND prop.
Now when swinging a righthand prop this makes the upper gear in the drive the forward drive gear. This intern is not the most desirerable way to go as all the forces of the drive in forward gear are kinda held in place by the top cap and not transfered down thru the drive as it would be if you ran a Lefthand prop.
Rights work just fine but if you saw how the drive works inside you would more than likely run a left, especially with the added HP of a V8.
I'm NOT saying run out and buy LH props but they are better for the drive in the overall picture of things."

"Hello El,
would you have the

"Hello El,
would you have the electronic version of the manual for the VP AQ 151. It would complement the one published here for the VP drives."

"Hello. I regulaly read these

"Hello. I regulaly read these posts and have had help in the past. I am slightly confused, I have a 1981 29ft Fairline Mirage with 2 x AQ145a/ 280 Outdrives which I use for coastal work on the east coast of England. These are set up to be 1 x left hand and 1 x right hand props ( counter rotating) I have had the boat about 7 yaers and they were like it when i bought it and I assumed that that was the way it was when it left Fairline. I now read the last post from BOATDOC and am wondering if I should change both drives to left hand. Any further advice please.

Thanks - Nick Porter"

"Nick, don't even think ab

"Nick, don't even think about it. There are a few good reasons to have counter rotating propellers when using two drives, which include better boat handling, better course tracking, higher top speed, better fuel economy, and easier docking. This is mostly because the propellers side torques are counteracted and virtually nullified. With the two props rotating in the same direction, amongst other things, the boat would have a tendency to list and to go sideways."

"Nick, That's what great a

"Nick, That's what great about the AQ drives, they can go either way and on twins it works great. El's post is right on the money about twin applications. V/P suggest's to have them toed in just slightly and the props turning toward each other in forward gear"

"Hi, Thanks to both El and the

"Hi, Thanks to both El and the Boatdoc for that information. Once again you guys have come up trumps and not only put my mind at rest but have also saved me some money or bucks as you guys say not having to buy another prop. - Thanks Again

Nick"

Back