Logo

Dps corrosion

tjm

Just had my 2007 crownline 250

Just had my 2007 crownline 250cr w/dps-a drive hauled and blocked. when cleaning off the drive I found paint blisters and pealing on top of and under the cavitation plate. boat is equiped with a VOLVO active corrosion module and a Marinepro galvanic isolator. Zinc still have 90% remaining. Should i just sand prime and paint or go back to volvo to plead my case.

tjm

"I would go back to Volvo. Als

"I would go back to Volvo. Also, if you keep the boat in the water, the problem may be related to a boat nearby you or to the dock's own cathodic protection (if fitted)."

look for the boat on the dock

look for the boat on the dock with cheap extension cords running to it. unplug them.

"Tim,Refer to my posts in the

"Tim,Refer to my posts in the last week or two. I'm devastated at the rate my DPS drive is corroding. Mine is on a trailer and is washed, flushed and all power disconnected when not in use. Get on to Volvo and whinge and whine untill you get some satisfaction. I put up with broken down old mercruisers for years and years while I scrimped and saved and mortaged my home and finally bought my shiny new Volvo GI 8.1 and DPS drive for $32000 AUD. The thing is literally rotting away before my eyes and as soon as it does I'm ging back to "BLACK" (Mercruiser).
Good Luck!"

The thing I don't understa

The thing I don't understand is if the sourse of the corrosion is from shore power the galvanic isolator should have taken care of any stray dc currents. If that failed the anode should have protected the drive unless there is a bad connection between the anode and cavitation plate. I'm going to check for continuity with a meter tonight. any sugestions on trouble shooting are welcome.

Tim

Back