Logo

What if your engine was rebuilt without a marine rebuild kit

S

Steve Brockman

I have heard you must use a ma

I have heard you must use a marine engine rebuild kit why?????

"you need the brass casting pl

"you need the brass casting plugs and the no-corrode head gasket. more important in salt water, but fresh just takes longer to rust thru."

Not a short term problem in fr

Not a short term problem in fresh water though right???

Put closed cooling (fresh

Put closed cooling (fresh water antifreeze) on the block and it will last longer.

I had a buddy that ran Felpro

I had a buddy that ran Felpro 1010 headgaskets which I have been told are a no no on marine engines since they have a copper seling ring vs the 1014 stainless. He installed the motor in 97 and we pulled it in 2006 and the gaskets looked fine with no signs of corrosion. Fresh Water only. FWIW

With fresh water I don't see it being a short term problem by any means.

"the engine will not know if s

"the engine will not know if someone stamp Marine or Auto on the box....only thing different is head gaskets for salt water, and the water pump shaft is stainless steel."

What about it? Any hydraulic c

What about it? Any hydraulic cam with a power peak around 4500 and a stable idle should do just fine

"would like to know is there a

"would like to know is there actually a difference between a 350 Merc. marine engine and a Chev,350 other than the gaskets and pumps. ThX"

"I went to Mercruiser Tech sup

"I went to Mercruiser Tech support with this question. Of course their answer was NO you cannot substitute an Auto for marine app. it is done every day on the race circuit but with attention to the differences. Merc advises ,"that Auto engines are not equiped to endure Hi RPM duty cycles and harsh enviroment. further some engine components such as Welsh plugs, camshafts,cylinder heads ,gaskets and pistons are ARE different."
They would not devulge their power curves etc as propritory."

"The Merc Tech support is righ

"The Merc Tech support is right to a point, namely covering their ass. They are right in saying that if you install a stock automotive engine you will have some major issues cropping up. If you have the knowledge to build a high performance BALANCED engine, keeping in mind that in has to handle sustained high RPM. You shouldn't have too many problems. Welsh plugs and head gsks are important as well."

"Kevin,
You are probably righ

"Kevin,
You are probably right, BUT you are no longer talking dropping in a automotive engine in when you build it up for performance. Merc. increases the piston and ring clearances,changes the heads and valves also because marine engines run at more constant load for longer periods..I have been investigating the cam spec's as well because of duration and overlap causing water reversion using performance car cams. You could be correct in saying that a custom built engine would work as I have been with three Offshore race teams and they built their engines up themselves where the rules allowed....and they didn't care about longivity."

Back