Logo

1982 80HP Flywheel removal

rainman5

Contributing Member
"after doing it incorrectly no

"after doing it incorrectly now I need to take the flywheel off to replace a trigger assembly. There was a yellow plastic covering over the flywheel nut so I removed the screws holding the flywheel to the hub, took the flywheel off removed yellow cover, now I need to remove the flywheel and hub as an assembly. I have bought longer bolts to screw in the hub, I have a steering wheel puller but only 2 holes will align up, these are directly across from each other. Will I be able to use it this way, just dont want to screw up anything else. BTW the trigger has a burnt smell. Thanks"

"that should do it. soak the s

"that should do it. soak the shaft in penetrating oil overnight, put alot of pressure on the puller bolt and smack the same bolt with a hammer to send a vibration down it. Tighten and repeat the process. Do not let the flywheel assembly rotate in case your bolts are going all the way through it."

The nut on the flywheel is on

The nut on the flywheel is on so tight I am having a tough time. Does the nut turn counterclockwise to loosen? Any suggestion how to hold the flywheel while loosening the bolt?

"Well I got my stater and trig

"Well I got my stater and trigger on hooked it up the same way that it came off (I took digital pictures), the Clymer manual showed the four stater wires going to the right side and the four trigger wires going to the left side of the switchbox whish is the opposite of how it was before I diconnected them. I checked and it is getting fire to the number one plug, I havent checked the other three yet. Boy I wish I had a factory manual. I dont think I am getting fire at the correct time. I pulled the number one plug out turned the crank with a rope once the compression pushe my finger out of number one plu hole, The mark I had made on the flywheel was almost an inch past the pointer. I am not sure but think this means I have the flywheel maybe one notch off. I made the mistake pulling the flywheel without pulling the hub first. Does any of this make sense and can anyone help please?
Raymond
Lake Weiss
Centre Al"

"Ray, The outer flywheel may

"Ray, The outer flywheel may beinstalled to the center flywheel in any of 8 ways. You need to make sure you have it in the correct position. So, set the number one cylinder to Top dead center. Now check the timing mark on the flywheel and see that aligns with the timing pointer. If not remove the 8 bolts and turn it until it does."

I turned the crank till it was

I turned the crank till it was tdc.. should the pointer be pointed at the 0 ? my marks are in pretty bad shape so I poitioned it half way between the 2 5's hope that was correct?

"you set the piston at TDC, wi

"you set the piston at TDC, without moving the crank, clock the flywheel to indicate 0, which would be TDC. You can use a pencil to touch the #1 piston on the way up to find its top most point.
I saw your name pop up and laughed, thinking is he still playing with that flywheel.
proud.gif
"

"I turned the crank stuck a sc

"I turned the crank stuck a screwdriver in and I think it is at TDC, I tried to find a TDC tool with no luck. I will do that again and positon the flywheel at 0 by removing the 8 bolts then replacing. I have the boat under my carport and not in a real big hurry just want to make sure it is ready bout March after I hear it run I will replace the impellar.
Thanks JB"

"You should already have it in

"You should already have it in the right position if you did it once. You would be off by 45 degree's if it was just 1 bolt hole incorrect, 360/8. I'm sure its close enough."

Back