Logo

T99 ELRC WONbT REV

levi506

"POSTED ONCE BEFORE, STILL NO

"POSTED ONCE BEFORE, STILL NO RESOLUTION. MOTOR STARTS AND IDLES SMOOTH. START TO IDLE UP AND IT BEGINS TO "CHUG". EVERYONE SAID CARB ISSUE. UNABLE TO RESOLVE, SO FINALLY REPLACED CARB. (@260.00). STILL SAME PROBLEM. REPLACED PLUGS (AUTOLITE EQUIVALENT), STILL SAME PROBLEM. FINALLY GOT A MANUAL AND CHECKED WIRING. SPARK, FUEL PUMP, NEW FUEL LINES AND FUEL, NOTHING. MECHANIC CHECKED FUEL PUMP, FUEL LINES, FUEL, OIL SENDING UNIT, SPARK, NEW NGK PLUGS, FINALLY CROSSED PLUG WIRES AND WOW, IT STILL RAN. POSSIBLE CDI? RAN OUT OF TIME, BACK ON MY OWN. MANUAL SAYS IF CDI IS PRODUCING GOOD SPARK, IT'S NOT THE CDI. SWAPPED PLUG WIRES ON ANOTHER 9.9 AND IT ALSO STILL RAN. CHECKED SPARK ADVANCE. APPROX. 5 DEGREES AT IDLE, ADVANCES ALL THE WAY TO 35 DEGREES, BUT ENGINE STILL CHUGS AND FINALLY DIES. WILL NOT COME UP IN RPM.
HELP...."

"BULB SEEMS TO PUMP UP AND STA

"BULB SEEMS TO PUMP UP AND STAY FIRM. ITS NEW AS WELL AS THE LINES. I WAS OVER AT THE COAST, AND I GOT A YAMAHA AUTH. SVC. CENTER MECH. TO LOOK AT IT FOR A FEW MIN. ON HIS DAY OFF. HE SWITCHED OUT FUEL, FUEL TANKS, FUEL LINES, BULBS, ETC. SEEMED TO THINK IT WAS GETTING FUEL. YOU CAN KEEP THE BULB SQUEEZED AS HARD AS YOU CAN WITH NO CHANGE. I'VE READ SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO TALKED ABOUT FUEL PUMPS, BEING ABLE TO SQUEEZE THE BULB AND HAVING THE MOTOR SUDDENLY RUN FINE. NO SUCH LUCK. I ACTUALLY BYPASSED THE FUEL PUMP AND KEPT THE BULB PUMPED HARD. STILL WOULD IDLE FINE, BUT NOT RUN UP. CHUGGED AS SOON AS YOU INCREASED RPM. THE MECH. SEEMED SURPRISED TO FIND IT RAN WITH THE PLUG WIRES CROSSED, BUT MY BROTHER IN LAW HAS A 9.9 UP IN SEATLE, SO HE TRIED IT AND HIS RAN AS WELL. COULDN'T WORK ON MORE THAN TWO CYLINDERS, BUT SEEMS TO WORK WITH TWO. FROM THE LOOKS OF THE PLUGS, I'D SAY ITS RUNNING RICH, ESPECIALLY WHEN I TRY TO RUN THE RPMS UP. ON THE NEW CARB, THERE'S IS AN AIR ADJUST, BUT THAT DOSN'T SEEM TO CHANGE THE CHUGGING PROBLEM EITHER."

"SORRY, FORGOT TO SAY THAT&#39

"SORRY, FORGOT TO SAY THAT'S ANOTHER THING WE CHECKED EVEN THOUGH THE MOTOR ONLY HAS 50 HOURS ON IT. IT WAS GOOD."

"CAN'T TELL YOU. THE ONE

"CAN'T TELL YOU. THE ONE MECHANIC I SPOKE TO ON THE PHONE IS A FRIEND OF MY BROTHER IN LAW AND SUPPOSED TO BE AN EXCELLENT YAMAHA MECHANIC. THE OTHER RUNS AN AUTHORIZED YAMAHA SERVICE CENTER AND BOAT YARD.

WHICH TEST(S) WERE YOU SPEAKING OF? I'M SURE I DIDN'T DO MY TESTING ACCORDING TO HOYLE, BUT I BELIEVE MOST RESULTS WERE VALID. MAYBE NOT?"

put it on a new tank of gas
c

put it on a new tank of gas
check cdi inputs and outputs
look at plugs
check compression
might be reeds

"Reeds? Where are they? I re

"Reeds? Where are they? I remember seeing reeds on a two cycle, but I can't find them in any diagrams in the service manual. Where do I look? Also, gas is not the problem. Had it on three different tanks, two were new gas. new fuel lines bulb etc. new plugs twice. Not plugs. Compression checked by mechanic, said it was excellent. I can't check the output voltage of the CDI, but it has good spark. Pull one plug wire and it will arc to the head close to half an inch. Don't have rpm indication on the kicker, but timing shows approximately 5 degrees at idle and advances up toward 35 when you try to rev it up. I can probably double the rpm before it starts to chug. Original plugs looked dark, like it was running rich. Tried changing the air mix on the new carb, no effect. Pulse coil etc all show continuity and inductive resistance change as the motor is rotated. The mechanic said to check the CDI, but I had to leave and couldn't get back (My vacation was over). No Yamaha mechanics anywhere near me."

"sorry no reeds, was thinkng 2

"sorry no reeds, was thinkng 2 stroke

well you need a DVA and a good meter to test CDI

throw away the ohms test"

"GOING TO THE BIG CITY OF FRES

"GOING TO THE BIG CITY OF FRESNO M0NDAY. SEE IF I CAN'T GET A SET OF FEELER GAGES SMALL ENOUGH TO SET THE VALVE LASH. BOUGHT ONE SET, WASN'T SMALL ENOUGH. NOT SURE IF I CAN JUSTIFY BUYING THE NECESSARY INSTRUMENTATION SINCE I PROBABLY WON'T NEED THEM AGAIN. I CAN GET A NEW CDI FOR LESS THAN 140 DOLLARS, MIGHT JUST GO THAT WAY."

"use the MM ones not the SAE!

"use the MM ones not the SAE!

i'm in the bay area, if you can not figure it out
i sue can, call yami aand ask"

"Figured to get the MM gages,

"Figured to get the MM gages, but if that doesn't do it, I may have to call. Only problem, is when to call, since you're up all hours, I'd never know when you were sleeping. Thank you for the offer. If I can't figure it out soon, I'll Email you direct."

Back