Logo

NO REVERSE

moterboat

"79 RUDE 140 // PUT IN REVERS

"79 RUDE 140 // PUT IN REVERSE AND IT JUST CLATTERS AND NEVER GOES IN. ADJUSTED CABLE AND SAME PROBLEM. FORWARD WORKS FINE, ANY SUGGESTIONS?? ITCHING TO FISH...<font color=""aa00aa"">
crazy.gif
</font>"

"make sure your cabl travel is

"make sure your cabl travel is ok.disc cable and try to shift manually at engine,..same problem,pull lower unit ck shift rod height,any one had the lower unit off since the last time it worked well?..ck oil for metal on drain plug magnet,if all appears normal and u cant get it to shift,i would suggest disassembly/inspection/repair."

"i HAD LOWER UNIT OFF TWICE,ON

"i HAD LOWER UNIT OFF TWICE,ONCE FOR WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT ,ONCE FOR INLET SCREEN REPLACEMENT.
HOW DO I CHECK THE ADJUSTMENT ON THE SHIFT ROD HEIGHT??AND FOR A GEAR INSPECTION,CAN I
crazy.gif
REMOVE THE GEARS AND DOG THRU THE OPENING OF THE PROP SHAFT HOLE? OR DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE DRIVE SHAFT?"

"u ck the adj of rod height by

"u ck the adj of rod height by tape,ruler etc,and spec in book....and u can remove rev gear w/out pulling d-shaft.u then will have to remove the pinion,then d-shaft,then u have to remove the entire prop shaft/forward gear assm."

"did u turn the shift rod,sev

"did u turn the shift rod,sev turns,while u had it out before,as noted,...this is an 'adjustment',if out,could cause your problem."

"20 inch shaft...should be 21

"20 inch shaft...should be 21 27/32+- 1/32 or so..but used units w/play in shifting parts,u will have to adjust for.This is shift rod height,measured from top of gearcase to hole in shift rod."

"Thanks Guy's, going to pu

"Thanks Guy's, going to pull the unit and check the spec's on the shift rod,if thats ok I will pull the gears out fot a inspection.."

Back