Logo

2004 25hpoily substance coming out of vent hole lwr unit

J

Jeff D

"I bought a 2004 Johnson 2 str

"I bought a 2004 Johnson 2 stroke 25 hp tiller, elec start, long shaft. The engine in brand new and has never been run. I started the engine at home using ear muffs. Everything ran fine. After running the engine, there was a dark oily substance coming out of a vent hole (small hole right above the cavitation plate) on the lower unit. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks."

It is the nature of a 2 stroke

It is the nature of a 2 stroke running at idle speeds.Not to worry.

Most likely just unburnt 2 str

Most likely just unburnt 2 stroke oil and carbon dripping down from your exhaust. No problem (except for the mess).

"On the same note but also kin

"On the same note but also kind of a new question. My motor (1975 9.9Hp Evinrude)tends to get a lot messier when I use fogging oil at the end of the season (like I just did). Since fogging oil is supposed to stick to cylinder walls and pistons etc., a lot better, I am surprised that it creates a larger exhaust mess. Is it desolving the carbon on the walls or something? Anyone else noticed this. It's happened like this for years, so I am not too concerned, just curious."

"No Doug, it's just really

"No Doug, it's just really messy. When I bring a bunch of motors "back into service" in the spring, I start them up in a tank and give them a good shot of a product called Power Tune (sold by Merc).

Sprays right in the carb and all kinds of crud comes out of the exhaust. It's sold as a "tune up in a can" (ya right), but it does do an excellent job of clearing out the fogging oil, which comes out looking like chocolate milkshake..."

Back