Logo

AQ140a Fresh Water Pump

marshy66

"Hi All,The fresh water pump b

"Hi All,The fresh water pump bearing has gone noisy and i can feel movement on the shaft when the engine is off.There is a slight loss in coolant at the pump which i suspect is caused by the play in the shaft now.Does anyone know if a automotive pump will fit or is their a rebuild kit avaiable as I suspect the volvo part will be grossly overpriced.
Cheers Keith"

"Keith, I agree: like most VP

"Keith, I agree: like most VP parts, the VP original pump is grossly overpriced. Unfortunately, and automotive circulating pump does not fit the AQ140. Check this.

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/81362.shtml

Also, I don't know of any rebuilding kits available for that pump. I think I recall someone in the forum mentioning that the parts from an automotive pump could be removed with the help of a hydraulic press and transplanted to your current pump. I have never done that myself, so I cannot tell you how easy or difficult it is, or if there is any risk of destroying the seal or the bearing during the process."

You can dismantle the pump usi

You can dismantle the pump using a hydraulic press as El describes or even by supporting it firmly and tapping with a hammer and pin punch. The trick will be to find equivalent size seals and bearings. If you can only obtain seals / bearings which fit the pump housing but not the old shaft and have access to a lathe you can machine a new shaft to siut the inner diameter of the new bearings / seals.

Thanks for responses as suspec

Thanks for responses as suspected VP wont 420 Australian dollars for an 80 bucks car pump...So annoying i even questioned the guy at parts and he had no excusues for the gross overpriceing just said hey thats VP for ya.Yes certainly wont have another VP.
Cheers
keith

"Use Auto pump? Sorry, Its no

"Use Auto pump? Sorry, Its not the same by any means. Your impeller (rubber, driven off the end of the cam) is capable of creating (sucks) vacuum to pull water up to and then pressurized into the motor (at low rpm's, at forward boat movement the water begins to be forced in).
The auto water pump is designed to operate a closed water system, works when there is water already there."

"West Coast Ron, Keith is talk

"West Coast Ron, Keith is talking about the fresh water circulating pump, not about the raw water pump. And unlike the AQ130, the AQ140 is fresh water cooled."

Back