Logo

95 Evinrude 25 HP running rough after heating up

jessebradley

"Model# E25TEEOR, The problem

"Model# E25TEEOR, The problem description is upon initial startup engine idles fine and runs with no problems...after running at cruise speed for approx 10-15 min engine looses all power and stutters uncontrollably, engine doesn't stall, or die out in neutral when revving to 1/4 throttle, normally I can let it sit at idle in neutral and then go again in most cases. Last night while running it.. it got to the point where it would stall when the problem presented itself. Fix actions taken so far I've rebuilt the carb, swapped plugs from NGK back to Champion. I'm at a loss any advice given would be greatly appreciated. I've also checked fuel lines for kinks, the vent line and fuel filters .Can anyone tell me if this motor has a overheat system? If so what does it do to prevent damage? The problem seems to be heat/time running related to me. Also if anyone knows the compression so I can do a compression test that would be great to know.

Latest fix action taken
Tonight (10/01/07) I went back and adjusted the idle screw and I was able to make it worse but never better that what it was when I started. It didn't seem like the idle screw at Idle did much tho to change the mixture, I could turn it from 1.5 turns from closed to almost all the way open with little change in the idle until it would just stall."

How often do we see " clea

How often do we see " cleaned / rebuilt the carburetor but the motor still runs the same " . It baffles me why people pick on the carburetor to start repairs. You start with trouble shooting.Do a compression test and check that spark will jump a gap of 7/16" or more on both cylinders.Then start the motor and run it ( on the boat )with a timing light hooked up to #1 cylinder and observe the flashing when trouble starts. If #1 fires steady then hook up to #2 and repeat.You have checked for water in the fuel????

"Well when you buy a boat and

"Well when you buy a boat and your not sure of its history, one should assume that the possibility of the carb being gummed up might exsist if the engine runs rough under certain cicumstances. And as far as I know the only way to really check that is to take it apart. And a compression test doesn't do me any good if I don't know what the compression is supposed to be, thus this is my reason for asking if anyone knew what the compression is supposed to be. I'll try the timing light this weekend. I know there's no water in the fuel (unless it came from the station) as the tank was emptied and refilled, but I'm curious how does one check for water in the fuel? If anyone has any other useful information I would greatly appreciate it."

"Shake your fuel tank, then us

"Shake your fuel tank, then using your primer bulb, squeeze fuel into a glass jar. Wait for it to settle, if there's two different fluids in there the one thats on the bottom is water. If your motor is new to you, a few things you can do, as NaS is saying, a new impeller, cause you dont know how old it is, a compression test, 100lbs give or take, big thing is that they measure evenly, a spark test, NaS uses a timing light, others use a spark tester, whatever you use, make sure it has a good strong spark. Starting with one thing, and eliminate things that could be wrong will save time and money. And a service manual...... a service manual for your exact model number of motor is the best sorce of information you can find."

The point that I often make is

The point that I often make is " trouble shooting " is the way to go.As far as I am concerned a compression test is easy and costs zippo as in nothing.A spark test tells you a whole lot and costs nothing. Hooking up a timing light costs nothing. Checking for water in the fuel costs nothing. Get the point???

Well NaS I suppose if your a m

Well NaS I suppose if your a mechanic and have all the tools needed to perform those tests it cost nothing doesn't it? The tone of your fist post was not helpful and not appreciated as is the tone of the last post either. Get my point???

Back