Logo

AntiSeize on marine diesel MD6

kurt_k

"Question - Won't anti-sei

"Question - Won't anti-seize compounds cause more long term corrosion issues on a marine diesel bolts as you are entering the dissimiliar metals contained in the various formulas into the electolysis/corrosion equation?
I am an amateur owner maintainer of the Volvo MD-6A (I think it is an A, but serial number tag is long gone).
I currently have the head and raw water heat exchanger off and preparing to re-install. Getting the old manifold bolts out was "interesting" and I would like to use something to make any future efforts easier.
Thank you for volunteering any help.
Kurt K."

The stuff works pretty well. I

The stuff works pretty well. I've used it to keep bolts free that were holding welded steel components together being stress relieved in ovens. The parts would come out of the ovens covered with oxidation scale accellerated by the heat but the treated bolts unscrewed easily. A spark plug is a bolt screwed into the combustion chamber of a gasoline engine and it is recommended for use on them. Apparently the galvanic factor of the copper is compatible with steel.

"Eddie,
I was concerened that

"Eddie,
I was concerened that there may be some "only use special marine anti-seize..." or similiar type of thing I would find out about after I asembled mine.
Thank you for taking the time to post the reassurance and real life experience.
Kurt"

"take it from an old shipwrigh

"take it from an old shipwright---bostich never-seez marine grade or 3-m never-sieze works. it is used on all proper prop to shaft installations and has never caused any galvanic reaction to disimilar metals (eg-monel,stainless,etc shafts with bronze, steel, aluminum props). safe above and below waterline."

Back