Logo

Solex 44 PA1 Carb AirFuel Mix

thostorey

Regular Contributor
"Dennis Vaught posted some inf

"Dennis Vaught posted some information a little while ago that should clear up some of the confusion regarding the Solex 44 PA1 carb initial air/fuel mixture setting.
That information is also available in the Seloc manual in the diagram located at the top right of page 4-19. It describes both the new and old carb and how to identify which one you have, what the initial air/fuel setting is and what idle screw setting is for them. For those without the
Seloc manual:

New style - Air/fuel mix screw is inset in the base of the carb and a thin scewdriver is required to access the screw head. If your carb doesn't look like this then you have the old style.

AQ151 - New style Carb - The initial air/fuel setting is 8 turns out from bottoming. The idle adjust screw is one turn more than initial contact with the carb lever.

Old Style Carb - the settings are 2 and 1 1/2 turns respectively.

Tom"

"So, What does direction (

"So, What does direction (in/out) do ?
The dumb manual does not say - neither does the volvo "instruction"'s.."

"You are right WC Ron, the man

"You are right WC Ron, the manual does not tell you wich, fuel or air, is being adjusted by turning the screw either way
angry.gif

However, at least having the correct starting point is helpful.

Tom"

"Well, I put the theory to the

"Well, I put the theory to the test today. Set the F/A mix 8 turns from the bottom and fired it up. Way too rich. I had to keep 1000 to 1500 rpm to keep the engine running while I alternately turned the screws in about one turn at a time. The idle finally smoothed out somewhat after 3-4 turns. I'll count the turns to 'bottom' next time I'm out and make one carb the same as the other.

It had been idling at about 800-900 rpm but after adjusting the F/A the idle was about 400 rpm which makes me think I had it very lean before. Not only that, the idle temperature is now about 170 vs 200 before. Still needs a little fine tuning but I have all winter to do that.

Slowly getting a handle on these dang carbs
happy.gif
Tom"

Back