Logo

2hp a little smoke and oil engine wont reach full throttle

• Thread starter jonathan landers
  • Start date
J

jonathan landers

"My older BF20 2hp honda is ha

"My older BF20 2hp honda is having some trouble. First it lost the ability to reach top speed, then i noticed it was leaking oil from the bottom of the engine compartment, and that there was a little white smoke from the engine. Any ideas what is going on?"

"is that re-build the carb? I

"is that re-build the carb? I hope so, i can handle that."

would that also account for th

would that also account for the oil leak? i have not noticed any gas being leaked?

"where can i get information o

"where can i get information on this? is that just following the oil to see where it is coming from? I appreciate all of the help Just in Time. I have worked on a few lawn mower engines, my first time with the boat"

"A leak down test requires gau

"A leak down test requires gauges and compressed air. If an engine has a bad reading on a compression test, a leak down test determines if the bad compression is caused by worn rings, burnt exhaust valve, burnt intake valve, or blown head gasket.

Your Honda 2 hp is closer to the lawn mower engines you've worked on than most outboards."

My 1983 Honda 9.9 hp outboard

My 1983 Honda 9.9 hp outboard has very few hours on it despite its years. It starts easily and runs well but at anything above half throttle it smokes. It smokes really badly upon deceleration. I have to add oil quite frequently. I'm hoping that you can tell me what these signs are symptoms of?
Thanks

"Dick: Rings or maybe valve gu

"Dick: Rings or maybe valve guides would be my guess. On deceleration vacuum can pull oil by the oil control ring into the combustion chamber.

jonathan: You could be getting leakage past the cork gasket for the plate that allows access to measure valve clearances. If you remove the carburetor for rebuild, you'll see this plate.

Sorry I just sold my BF2. So I no longer have the shop manual to look things up in."

"Dick: I looked at a parts bre

"Dick: I looked at a parts break down for a Honda 9.9. It was an overhead valve model. The valves have valve oil seals. A bad oil seal could cause oil consumption.

To see if you have bad rings or burnt valves. Do a compression test. If your compression is low, squirt some oil in the cylinders. Crank engine over to spread oil and remove excess. Re-do compression test. If compression goes up, the problem is probably rings. If it doesn't go up the problem is probably valves. But if you rebuilt the engine, you should not do it on the cheap. Replace everything that wears.

Sorry I really don't know your motor."

Back