Logo

Evinrude 99 no spark

edelweise

"Hi , I have an old 9.9 i Gues

"Hi , I have an old 9.9 i Guess about 1960/70 ( model number has corroded away). It has not been run for several years but stored in the dry and turns over OK, but no spark. I have removed flywheel cleaned the points and set them at 20 thou. Idealy I would like to convert the ignition to electronic... can this be done? Otherwise I guess it would be worth replacing all the coils ,condensors and points. Where can I source thes items?"

"Before you start throwing par

"Before you start throwing parts at the engine, clean the points with either lacquer thinner or acetone, then set the points so that a .020 gauge will pass thru them but a .022 will not.

If the point cam should have a small area on it that states "set", have the fiber rubbing portion of the points contacting that area when setting the points, otherwise have the fiber rubbing portion of the points aligned with the crankshaft key in order to set the points properly."

"Hi Joe,
Thanks for your post

"Hi Joe,
Thanks for your posting. I have tried what you sugest already but there is no spark. Is there any way I can test items like the condesors or coils?
On the other hand , I don't mind spending some money on this motor in the way of electronic ignition because I believe it would make it a very reliable motor."

Back