Logo

06 glastron with a volvo 30 GLPD motor

berninmn

"Hi everyone, New boat owner h

"Hi everyone, New boat owner here. I bought a brand new boat last summer and I'm having problems with the volvo motor. When I shut the motor down after running around the lake it wont shut off right away(Sputters). The dealer told me that's normal so I called Volvo and they said no it not. Took it back to the dealer they ajusted the idle. Now the dang thing wont run in idle. I have to push the center button in and run the rps up to keep it running. Took it to a diffrent dealer he ajusted the idle back now i'm back to a sputtering motor. I'm about ready to take it back and tell they to keep it! Has anyone had this problem with this motor? any help would be great. Thanks!"

sorry about the spelling. it w

sorry about the spelling. it was getting late and I was frustrated. rps=RPM'S I have to keep the RMP'S up then slam it in forward.If I pull back on the lever and let it sit in netural it will cut out. When it was (dieseling) the dealer said after I run the motor I should let it sit in netural for a few mins before shutting it off. they said this is normal for this type of motor? I dont see anyone else sit a few min's before shutting theirs off. I feel I'm getting a run around by the dealer. Would love the hear what you guys think. Thanks Bernie

"Are you using regular gas or

"Are you using regular gas or high-octane gas? Make sure you are using at least mid-grade. And in any case, try adding some octane booster to the gas and see if the problem disappears, especially if the gas contains ethanol.

This may explain what is going on with your engine.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/ro101.htm"

"Bernie; in the USA, any clean

"Bernie; in the USA, any clean source of branded fuel is not likely the cause of dieseling in a marine engine. A typical gasoline at a reputable fuel dock is midgrade (89 R+M) which is fine whether it has alcohol or not. However, it might behoove the dealer to check timing and fuel mixture of your engine. Finally, inquire about the heat range of the spark plugs in your engine. I don't know what the dealer did to get your engine to idle properly but probably involved carburetor or fuel injection. That is likely the source of the problem but timing could be a close second pick."

"Hi Bernie. Personally, espec

"Hi Bernie. Personally, especially if it is still under warranty, and even if in is not, I'd park it in the dealer's lot and say fix it. No justice, then post here and all sites related to boating/buying boats you can find of your problem with the dealer. You should be treated better by your dealer! Tom"

"Hey guys, thanks for the info

"Hey guys, thanks for the info. I do run 89 octane gas. I see your point of running octane booster but i don't think I should have to add any to a brand new motor, Plus I'm worried if I did it might void the warranty. Bernie"

"Bernie, your in MN, glastron

"Bernie, your in MN, glastron is in MN. contact the reginal rep and explain to him the problem and ask him which dealer to use, the reps with genmar/glastron are very CSI (customer satisfaction index) oriented. dont ever get mad but insist that its fixed properly."

Bernie

I have a 2002 w

Bernie

I have a 2002 with the smae engine.It does the same thing ocassionally. Make sure you are using 92 octane gas and let it run on a slow idle for a few minutes before turning it off. I find it is caused mostly by the gas.

Back