Logo

DPSM Gimbal Bearing Replacement

petesim

"Hi, I have a GI 8.1C and DPSM

"Hi, I have a GI 8.1C and DPSM drive. The unit is approx 3 years old but has only 150 hrs on it. it has sat for approx 9 months while I built a new boat trailer but I ran it every month or so.
After finally finishing the new trailer, I put it in the water for the first time since xmas and it had a horrible rumble in the rear end. I brought it home, dissassembled and as expected the gimbal bearing was u/s. Dry and rusty, I mustn't have been greasing enough or there has been some water entry at some time (bellows looks ok though). Whilst dissassembling I pulled the thread in one of the tilt cylinders where the trim line screws in. Is there a way of salvaging this or am I up for a whole cylinder? Also when reassembling is there a sealant or something where the driveline bellows fits to the drive as there isn't a clamp on the rearend. I am suspicious that I may have got water entry here. Any opinions/advice welcome."

"The best way I know of salvag

"The best way I know of salvaging threads is by means of heli-coil inserts. Also, when I reassemble a drive bellows, I normally use Perfect Seal or equivalent, although according to Mercruiser the correct product for that application would be Bellows Cement."

Back