Logo

850 grinds in and out of reverse

T

tomboni

"I've been playing with my

"I've been playing with my 850 all weekend, adjusting cables, lubing the distrubutor housing (still stiff). Before I replaced the control and cables, the old ones were so worn the motor would not go into reverse. With the newer cables the motor shifts o.k but will grind in and out of reverse. I've tried several different adjustment settings and it either won't engage at all or will and grind. I know the motors old but I think its kinda cool and want it to work properly. Also any tips on how to make the distributor assy move easier. If you're wondering, I don't have a manual, and should most likely invest in one. Who's is the best. Thanks Tom"

Grinding of gears is caused by

Grinding of gears is caused by " granny shifting " an outboard should be put into gear with a quick firm motion.Do not think that you are kind to the gears by easing it into gear.

"Tom, The distributor body ro

"Tom, The distributor body rotates in a "sleeve". You may easily seperate the two and grease it up.

BTW - there should be a grease fitting (actually two) on the distributor housing. If these have fresh grease and the dissy is still hard to rotate, you may need to disassemble it.

ABTW - The rotor is not removeable. It is permanently afixed to the shaft."

"I think part of the reverse i

"I think part of the reverse issue may be that the shift arm will not move to reverse as fast as it will to forward. It almost feels rubbery when shifting into reverse only. The slider moves freely. The arm to reverse is tight.
As for the distributor, I think I'll need a manual. The rotor and shaft is no longer available, I've heard of people breaking it from the shaft because they didn't know any better. Thanks for all the great info fellas. Tom"

"Tom, The rotor and shaft&#40

"Tom, The rotor and shaft(as well as the dist. bearings) for that motor are indeed available, both new and used. They are not cheap however."

Glad to know the parts are sti

Glad to know the parts are still around. I'll have claim the motor as a dependent on my taxes. thanks Tom

Back