Logo

New Problem Starter Motor Too Slow

"Well I installed the Perma Co

"Well I installed the Perma Coil wasn't sure of spark plug depth so I snipped the insert down to 3/8" depth to be safe.Installed the spark plug and it was was tight and strong,just like new.So I thought I"D go fishing since I had synchronized the motor and linkages the other day.When I tried to start the motor the flywheel wouldn't turn fast enough to start the motor(sluggish).I had 3 fully charged batteries,checked all the connections,even hooked 2 of the batteries in parallel trying to get more amps.Tried to pull start but there was so much compression it wore me out.I checked for spark and had good spark.Starter motor worked fine two days ago.Now my questions is would it cause problems if I didn't use a ignition switch and solenoid.I've been hooking the starter motor directly to the battery and touching the negative cable to the battery post to start the motor.Then I leave the negative cable unhooked after motor starts??I noticed the starter motor pinion gear is engaged with flywheel even when the negative cable isn't touching the battery.Isn't the pinion gear suppose to disengage when I remove the negative cable from the battery post?Should I have the negative cable permanently afixed to battery and use the positive cable to make contact with the battery then leave unhooked??I have a 1983,35hp,manual start,Johnson,model no.#J35RCTS.If I've overlooked anything that might be the problem area any suggestions would be appreciated,The Sturgeon General."

"Typically with marine engines

"Typically with marine engines, if there is a charging circuit, a battery must be attached anytime the engine is running or there rectifiers with blow in an instant. Pull the plugs and see if it cranks properly. If should just fly with out the plugs. The starter should not remain engaged when the motor is running.
KP"

Back