Logo

Looking for Old Champion Spark Plugs L77J4J

pastor_scotty

"Help:

My marine mechanic w

"Help:

My marine mechanic wants me to install Champion L77J4J spark plugs in my Mercury 800 Thunderbolt, 80 horse motor, to cure a pre-ignition problem. Does anybody know where I can get them or the number of a NGK equivalent.

Pastor Scotty"

"Pastor Scott, sounds like you

"Pastor Scott, sounds like your Mechanic is looking at a very old parts list - Champion doesn't produce that plug anymore.

I do believe that it is now a QL77J4C (which would be equivalent).

You should stick with Champion on this motor, it was one of Merc's early "Thunderbolt" systems and they fire Champions better than they would NGK's...."

Graham:

Thanks for that num

Graham:

Thanks for that number. I will pick four up and give them a try.

Scotty

P.S. I got the same number from a list serve in Portuguese I think.

"Looking for the most reasonab

"Looking for the most reasonable place to buy an electric start kit for a 1987 Mercury 8hp,S/shaft, SN.OB214382. Have quotes of $243 for kit, plus starter switch $53. Will have to keep pulling at those prices.
Also need help with rough idle on same engine. No problem with acceleration to,or at high speed.Just got the engine. Haven't tried anything yet.
Thanks
Scottie"

"Donald, that's about the

"Donald, that's about the going price for the electric start kit - although BAM sells it for about 200, plus the switch.

If you have checked the engine over and the compression and spark are good, maybe something as simple as a new set of plugs (NGK BP8HS-10's) may help or a slight adjustment on the carb..."

"Thanks Graham
Had my new/old

"Thanks Graham
Had my new/old motor out today for test run. Still a little rough in neutral. Will try carb. adjust.
Not familiar with what you call BAM. Want to contact them on the elect. start kit. Will BAM.com bring up their web page? If a person was able to follow the kit instructions,would you need a lot of special tools to install it?
Thanks again
Scottie"

Back