Logo

Looking for Sea King 3 Montgomery Wards info

dtmolt

"I just got my Sea King Three

"I just got my Sea King Three outboard from my parents house and would like some information on it. The model# is GG18735B, serial# 26X840967. It was last started about 30 years ago and my father said it didn't run quite right. It's a 1962 3hp model. The most important info I need is:
1. What kind of drive oil do I use?
2. It has a Champion J-6J spark plug in it now. Do I use the same and what gap do I use?
3. What mixture of oil to gas? Regular or Supreme gas?
4. Is it air cooled? If it's not, i'm sure the water pump is shot. How do I get to it and I don't see how it would get water up to the engine? All there is in the lower unit is the drive shaft.
Any help will be most helpful.

Dan"

"Dan, your model is actually G

"Dan, your model is actually GG18735 "B", which makes it a 1962, single cylinder, 3 horse built by Gale (which was a division of OMC - Johnson/Evinrude). The Gale model 3D18 would have been their own model.

The J6J plug is no longer made, but can be replaced with a J6C or RJ6C (the R will prevent electrical interference on your fishfinder etc) and you can gap that at .030"

Gas to oil is 24:1 - regular unleaded and TCW3 marine 2 cycle oil is fine.

Drive oil, any "marine" gear oil, except type "c" will work fine.

There should be a water tube, about the diameter of a pencil, going from the waterpump cover up to the powerhead...."

Back