Logo

79 Marlin oil in bildge

L

Lynn Wolfer

"350 chevy,merc o.d. Last tri

"350 chevy,merc o.d. Last trip down 1 qt. of oil wond up in bildge. Any ideas on where to start?"

oil fill cap
valve cover gasg

oil fill cap
valve cover gasget
pcv valve
oil filter
front crank seal
rear crank seal
rear cam soft plug
oil drain plug
hose connection to trim cylinders
power steering hose connection

"Thanks Bill, Will get starte

"Thanks Bill, Will get started this afternoon. By the way this only happened when I was in the 3000-3500 rpm range. Salmon are running
"

"Look around the dipstick tube

"Look around the dipstick tube, filler cap for signs of oil being forced out by blowby pressure.
Check pcv valve. It should be sucking air at idle.
Check for blowby gasses puffing out of oil fill hole both at slow and fast idle. Would help if a helper could watch for blowby while at speed.
If there is blowby and it is excessive, the pcv valve system will be overwhelmed and pressure in crank case will force oil out the weakest point.
A quart of oil in the bilge if coming from the engine would make a signifant mess around are where it came from.
DANGER WILL ROBINSON... DANGER SAFETY SAFETY
With oil and who knows what else, you should run your engine blower before starting and while at idle."

"Thanks again Bill, I had a s

"Thanks again Bill, I had a sneekin' suspicion that it might be blow-by due to execive pressure in the crank area. Will check pcv. Also wen we came up to the dock to trailer-up, I put it in nuetral and the engine wouldn't idle? Would run with a little throttle but not on low idle? Guages all nominal"

time for a tuneup? Vacuum lea

time for a tuneup? Vacuum leak will keep it from idling. Plugged oil returns in the heads will build up too much oil under the valve covers and blowby gasses will help it escape.

"if you don't see an obvio

"if you don't see an obvious leak, check the back of the flywheel. If its wet with oil, you have a leaking rear main shaft seal. If you don't have a bad pcv, you may simply have excessive blow by. I would also think about a compression check.

[you can also modify an oil cap (an extra part) with a 3/4 inch tube and duct it into a can and see if it collects oil.]"

Just curious; did someone just

Just curious; did someone just add a quart of oil and endup over filling the crankcase?

"Wow, Thanks everyone for all

"Wow, Thanks everyone for all of your feedback!!! The more that you give the more I'm impelled to tell. I've went through the whole vessel for about 5 months before it saw water. It had been parked inside for about 2 yrs. It recieved a complete tune-up bow to stern. She has a goodwrench 350 (new), outdrive gone through,the only thing that was O.E. was the intake manifold,distributor, stuff like that. Bill, I think you have come the closest to what I need to check for. I really appreciate everyone who has given me some information on this. Am going out now to check PCV. Be back in awile.
"

"Look for vacume hose from car

"Look for vacume hose from carb and follow it, it should go to a valve cover. Some pcv hoses are at top of carb and some are at the base plate.
Where was the boat when you found the water in bilge? This could be important!"

"Hey Bill, We had the boat in

"Hey Bill, We had the boat in the Umpqua river for about 6 hrs last weekend. That is when we started having the problems. The boat was trailered for a couple of days, that is when I noticed water, an excessive amount. The bildge was full and below the floor in the cuddy was full. :|"

"This may be a seperate issue

"This may be a seperate issue with oil in bilge.
If it is a hull leak, I say what leaks in will leak out. Filler up with water (on the trailer), same amount you found on the river, maybe more, short of soaking the starter motor, and stand back and see where it leaks out. If nothing comes out, you may have a leak in the sea water hose or (bite my tongue) a leak in the block/engine or some of the coolant hoses.
However, if motor runs ok, cracked block in water jacket is not that bad of thing. More on that later, depends on what you report.
Once, when fish'n on the Columbia R. I woke up to see my shoe float by at eye level. It was a leak in the head (toilet)."

Back