Logo

Quicksilver control wiring

rainman5

Contributing Member
"On my project boat 1982 80HP

"On my project boat 1982 80HP Merc with Quicksilver controls. I have a yellow wire coming from the control box that isnt hooked to anything and need to know what it is. I installed a new stator I am not getting spark on the plug wire , thinking that could be the problem. My Clymer manual doesnt show this. Help
Thanks"

"I don't know of a pure ye

"I don't know of a pure yellow wire, but if you think the control or the key switch is bad disconect the wiring harness at the engine and pull start to check for spark."

"Raymond/JB, had a look at my

"Raymond/JB, had a look at my (paper) diagrams of older Merc controls. The yellow wire may/should be connected to the neutral safety switch (within the control itself)- if that's what it is, should end up at the keyswitch or back into the main harness (depending which end is just "hangin")..."

"Thanks JB and Graham. the yel

"Thanks JB and Graham. the yellow wire is the same gauge an the red and black wire it is outside the control box as if it should be connected to something outside the box. I was wondering if this may just be a hot wire that supplies power to the switch for the nav light, the lowrance depth gauge or maybe the hour usage gauge. This boat also has a tilt and trim. The neutral saftey switch I assume is in the control box? The ign. switch tilt and trim controls are inside the control box thanks again for all you help Raymond"

"Ray, The yellow wire is usua

"Ray, The yellow wire is usually for the starter solenoid, and as such, is in series with the neutral start switch."

"Forgive for not being quite b

"Forgive for not being quite bright ): I know what and where the started solenoid is, is the neutral start switch part of the ignition switch? Are you saying the yelloe wire coming from the ignition switch should be going to the solenoid, if so I guess it goes to one of the 2 small terminals?
Thanks for help from everyone.
I can see where BOAT stands for bank on another thousand."

"Raymond, yes, the yellow wire

"Raymond, yes, the yellow wire should start at the key switch, then connect to the neutral safety switch (within the shift box), then continue on to your starter solenoid through the wiring harness - at least that's how it looks in my wiring diagrams...

So when you turn the key, if you are in neutral, it lets it pass to the solenoid to tell it "ok" send power to the starter...."

"Thanks, I am getting power to

"Thanks, I am getting power to the starter, it will turn over. I think I am way over my head. I installed a new stator because the wires coming from it were crumbling. I had my neighbor over while I turned the engine over using ignition switch we did not get a spark on any of the wires or plugs. I am thinking the switch box, trigger or coils could be bad. First thing I need to check is the switch box, then the stator then the coils? Can I do this with an ohm meter?
Thanks for all your help"

Back