Logo

Fuel drip from aft carb on 225C

cal

Regular Contributor
"Finally got the fireball 225C

"Finally got the fireball 225C running, lots of smoke and bucking/snorting after the rebuild but it runs!!!!!!!!! Major accomplishment for your's truly
biggrin.gif

Other than some minor water and oil leaking from the coolers things are good to go. There is a small fuel drip from the aft sidedraft carb after shutdown, could even be during the running but I didn't notice cuz I was just glad it was running. I read somewhere about this problem and might have even posted about it but was there ever a fix for this problem?
Cal"

"Now that you mention it (

"Now that you mention it (and kudos for getting it running), I've run into a bunch of "carb leaking" problems of late that are caused by excessive fuel pump pressure. Run the carb at 2 to 4 psig and all is well, but let the pressure get up to 7 psig and it'll "slow flood"--like what you're seeing. What changed, you might ask? The manufacturers of fuel pumps are not controlling the ouitput pressure properly, that's what.

I'm going to use Holley fuel pressure regulators to stop all that nonsense. About 30 bucks each.

Jeff"

"Jeff,
Yesterday I had the en

"Jeff,
Yesterday I had the engine running for about 45 mins, did the timing, point gap/dwell, set the valves, retorqued the heads, minor idle adjustment, etc. Purred like a kitten, I had to resolder a water leak on the transmission cooler and tighten up the oil lines going to the oil cooler which I somehow missed, filled the bilge with about a qt of fresh oil.
angry.gif

The only time the aft carb dripped was after shutdown and that was maybe 3 or 4 drips. I suspect with that side design and the carb tilted throat down there is some residual from the fuel mix spray after shutdown. If it continues I'm going to cut a small crecent shaped brass plate about 1/16 high and jb weld it to the inside of the throat just to stop the drip.
Thanks for all the help and advice along the way.
Cal"

"Cal:

After wasting a bunch

"Cal:

After wasting a bunch of time and $$$ over the last few years, trying to cure a flooding carb, I now find that new fuel pumps are so poorly made that they put out WAY too much fuel pressure: like 7 1/2 psi. My old Carter AFBs flood above 5 psi, so I've added an Holley fuel pressure regulator. I can now put 10 psi on hte thing without a leak! Something to consider.

Jeff

PS: Jegs sells them for about 30 bucks."

I just might go that route. Fo

I just might go that route. For now it is on the back burner until spring when I finally put the boat in for it's shakedown. I'm sure I'll run into more issues than just a small drip after shutdown.
Thanks.
Cal

Back