Logo

1960 Evinrude 75hp will not fire

mrchevyhp

"Hi, I just purchased a 1960 E

"Hi, I just purchased a 1960 Evinrude Starflite II 75hp that will not fire. My husband thought it might be the cap and rotor (the rotor turns out to be very expensive. Someone mentioned that this very likely might not be the cap and rotor. Please help!
Thanks"

All the components can be test

All the components can be tested by someone in the know using a MERC-O-TRONIC magneto analyzer.Testing stuff is the way to go.

"Eric, The rotor for that mot

"Eric, The rotor for that motor should not be too expensive, however you need to find out what the problem is before to start to replace stuff.

First clean and gap both sets of points to .020 in. There are two timing marks on the dist. pulley base. One set of points should open to .020 when the timing mark on the pully aligns with each pully base timing mark. Now remove the dist cap and use a clip lead from the brass pin on the coil to ground. As the dist pully spins, the coil should arc thru the clip lea to ground. If not, check the coil for cracks and continuity. If the coil looks good, replace the condenser and retry the spark test. When you get spark at the coil, reassemble the dist. cap and rotor and see if you have spark at the plugs."

There's a cut out switch o

There's a cut out switch on the motor that might be set wrong also the ignition may be wired improperly shorting out the points. Assuming you don't have spark on any of the four plugs I would trace back to make sure it's wired properly. What's the history? Was it running at some point?

Back