Logo

Dt25 hp suzuki has no power in full throttle

D

DanielT

"I have a 83 dt25 hp suzuki. w

"I have a 83 dt25 hp suzuki. when out of water it will run fine, but when the motor is pushing the boat in the water it has hardly any power. especially when in full throttle, it fells like its bogging down. someone told me it might be the high speed jets. could it be that? or maybe a full line that is to big?"

"Pull the carb, Pull the littl

"Pull the carb, Pull the little screws out and soak them in sea foam. Soak the carb body in gas with some sea foam in it over night. Run very fine guage wire through all the little holes. Blow all the little holes with compressed air. Re-assemble.

On the other hand if the engine is running fast but only moving the boat a little bit, the prop might be bad. Some props have a rubber mounting in the hub that can delaminate."

"i will pull the carb and try

"i will pull the carb and try that. no the motor doesnt run fast and boat going slow, when im running the motor out of the water and rev it up i can get all the rpms. but when i put it in the water it doesnt have hardly any power pushing the boat. it seems fine until about half throttle then it will start bogging down and cant gain any rpms. if it was the prop i would have the rpms and just slower movement, but i cant get the rpms or movement like it should"

the motor will run out of the

the motor will run out of the water all day long with no load

let us know how it works

"It really sounds like it'

"It really sounds like it's the carb. Somethings blocking the top end circuit. No load you should be able to get some revs up. But under load it can't get enough fuel and bogs down. Just spend a nice long time checking on all the little holes in that carb with a light guage copper wire. I run it in a hand drill my self and it worked ok. But I'm gentle.

These things are not a lot different from motorcycle carbs. Motorcycle manuals give a good picture of what happens in a carb, so if you can't get an outboard manual, try looking at a bike manual. Mikuni seems to be everywhere.

By the way I don't know about running it out of the water like just in time says. Are you guys thinking on a hose system for cooling water?"

"i soaked it in gas and sea fo

"i soaked it in gas and sea foam and used the air compressor. still doing the same thing, any other thoughts?"

"no. im using the same carb, i

"no. im using the same carb, im trying not to have to buy a new one. the carb has been rebuilt though."

"i pulled every thing apart th

"i pulled every thing apart that could be pulled apart. i soaked it with a mixture of gas and sea foam, then cleaned it. someone told me it could be the reed valves. could it be that? the motor ran fine 2yrs ago before it sat."

"There are two little brass je

"There are two little brass jets inside the carb. They are two little brass pieces screwed in to the silver gray metal of the carb. One is short and stubby and has one hole through the middle and the other is long and thin with a hole through the middle and a couple on the sides. You can visually inspect these pieces and tell if they are clogged at all. You can poke a copper wire into all the holes and verify that they are clear. Use something soft like very fine copper wire strands from a speaker wire. You don't want to change the diameter of the holes at all. Be sure that you got both of these brass jets completely clean. Then make sure the engine can get fuel. Make sure the air bleed is open on the tank and the fuel filter is clean.

Your engine ran great, and then it sat. That's what happened. What about this could bend a reed valve? Nothing. You've got a gummy carb and it might need a real soak and a rebuild. But you might get away with cleaning it more agressivly.

http://store.brownspoint.com/pdf/DT25(83-85).pdf

My suzuki 6 acted just like yours. If you look at figure 4 at this site and find the little screw jet on top marked #2, you'll find the one I missed on the first pass. I cleaned that jet and got my top end back. On the first pass, I got the lower jet and missed the one on top, and the motor ran well up to about mid throttle under load. And if I advanced the throttle farther, the engine would bog down and just about kill.

If your engine is making revs and your boat will not go fast, you may have other power transfer porblems. If your engine is running full and your boat isn't moving, you might have rusted something up in the lower unit. Have you changed the oil there?

Putting a good dose of sea foam in the fuel and running it gently for an hour or two might free up some parts if you have some gum or varnish inside the fuel pump or on the reed. Heat, vibration, and solvent can work wonders. But go gently with it."

i just got it all together and

i just got it all together and ran it. still sputtering above 3/4 throttle. i have the carb looking brand new its so clean. what do you think i missed Dan?

"There are two small brass scr

"There are two small brass screws. One is inside the carb at the bottom of the bowl. The other sits on top of the carb. They look like screws with square shoulders and slotted heads. And when you take them out they look like ... Carb Jets.

http://crc2onlinecatalog.com/images/MikuniJet.JPG

This is the one that's more like a doughnut. It's what you'll find down inside the float bowl. It's easy to find and it's easy to remove and to clean.

The one I missed on my carb looked more like this:

http://crc2onlinecatalog.com/images/MikIdleJetMechSmall01.JPG

And it was mounted on an air passage on the outside of the carb, up on top. Guys would look at such a thing and say: "that's the idle jet. You're idling fine." But the thing of it is that both jets are supposed to be functioning, giving all they have, when the throttle is open.

Remove these two pieces from the carb and clean them with wire, or replace them. Remove the pivot pin that holds in the float. and hold the little needles in the light. Look for fuel residue or anything that might block the passage of fuel.

Outboard motor techs really like getting a hundred an hour to troubleshoot engines. And they don't talk about what they do too much.

Motorcycles have more complex carbs than these that we are talking about here. And there are hundreds of articles out there on what carbs do and how to work on them. You might want to think about setting up the float hight again, or upsizing or downsizing the jets.

Carbs that sit and are partially blocked up inside can deliver a leaner mixture than you want. What do you know? you can burn a piston that way.

Looking at what sitting around undrained did to my carb, and how simular the two carbs are in over all design, and the way they both behaved the same way after the first cleaning. That's what makes me think that you've got blockage in that longer jet."

Just wondering if you managed

Just wondering if you managed to get the problem sorted as my DT25( 1998) is doing exactly the same thing.

I bought the boat & motor a few months back and everything was okay. I took it in for a service and they did the head gasket and the usual service and since then I have this problem.

I am not too impressed as I cleaned the carb myself after reading the input here and the fuel filter was filthy. The carb float chamber had lots of gunge also.

The plugs are looking black & oily and to be honest I don’t have confidence in the dealer that serviced the motor.

Would be appreciate any input.

Cheers

Back