Logo

Sterndrive Engineering SE106 reviews

sr_245

I was looking for an up to dat

I was looking for an up to date review of these. I searched and the most recent threads about them is July 07 but doesn't say much. I recently chewed up something in the drive (it's knocking in the lower) and seeing as it's an 83 drive and I've re-sealed it twice already I think it's time. I understand the the SE106 has a 3 year warranty and I've seen them advertised for as little as $1195 or $1295 shipped.

The guy that hauled my boat told me he doesn't like them because he's had too many returns and offered me a rebuilt drive with a 90 day warranty. He'll haul it for free if there's a problem. If I had a trailer this would be a no-brainer but at $400 per round trip haul it's something I'm considering. If SE did an exchange with a core charge it would be easier too because I can change the drive in one tide cycle by blocking the boat up (I haven't contacted them about this but the guy hauling the boat said they had a 3 week turn around)

Comments are appreciated.......

Thanks

Mike

"Thanks,

I've been to t

"Thanks,

I've been to thier website and know all about them. I'm looking for experienced, impartial reviews of the outdrive. I assume the two you sold haven't had any problems?"

"I have installed several now

"I have installed several now and all are holding up well mechanicaly. have had 1 problem with all I have sold. Paint. these units are powder coated, and do not do well in salt water. the first nick allows water under the paint, and it lifts off in sheets. this exposes the aluminum to corrosion. You don't give a location in your profile, but this could be a problem since you would have to haul to repaint. I don't know how the paint holds up in fresh water. maybe someone could advise. other than that, spend the extra 30-35 bucks for the connecting kit. the drive is shipped in two pieces without upper shift shaft. the kit contains the shaft, and all nuts, bolts, gaskets, etc. needed. worth it."

Back