Logo

New cooling system 318 Chrysler

S

stormy cox

"I have a 1971 RiverQueen, Twi

"I have a 1971 RiverQueen, Twin 318's and have some recurring overheating. My mechanic says he can retrofit all new pumps and simplified plumbing and cure problem. He says my pumps (4 port Sherwoods)are worn out and brass is too soft to take much machining. I haven't seen any mention of this on forums,Any thoughts? advice? recommendations?"

"Stormy
These brass body pump

"Stormy
These brass body pump do have a end of life, bearings go and thing do wear. Pumps have gotten better since 1971, hose from that age should all be changed out, they have a life as well. If this guy is on the level, and as a mechanic I agree with him, but I would check out,price of each pump, how many hours to do the work,and his hourly rate. Further speak with another shop and get a second opinion."

I sent my sherwood dual impell

I sent my sherwood dual impellar pump to depco pump for new shaft bearings seals and spring they did a great job for 1/3 the of a new one!

They are in Florida

will

"We rebuilt D60 pump and I rep

"We rebuilt D60 pump and I replaced all hoses for 350.00, works fine and looks brand new, . Gonna do the same for starboard engine and let them ride for awhile longer. I am always in favor of original equipment if possible. My mechanic says about 250 for a different pump that will put out 80+gpm and then we have to make a bracket to mount it and decide if we will still use belt drive or go electric. So maybe another 2-300, also need to reroute hoses as new pump would only have one intake and one exhaust. Maybe just a couple of T's"

Back