Logo

Alpha 1 shift cable

jerryh

Can I take off the bell housin

Can I take off the bell housing and replace the shift cable bellows without taking off the cable from the boat? What I mean is can I take the end piece with the roller off the cable on the outside of the bell housing?

"Gerald

Normal proceedure i

"Gerald

Normal proceedure is to withdraw the whole inner and outer cable out through the bell housing and then fit the new bellows and feed it all back through.

However, it has been suggested on this site before that if you lift your leg up all the way and turn your steering onto port lock, you can manipulate the cable out through the bellows without undoing it from the bell housing.

I havent tried it yet but it is worth a go.

Cheers
Peter C"

"What I'd like to do is ta

"What I'd like to do is take the shift slide off the back end and then pull the cable forward through the bell housing. Is this possible and how do I take the slide off? Thanks, Jerry"

"Gerald
To remove the shift k

"Gerald
To remove the shift key you must remove the inner cable, once that is done if you are lucky you will be able to undo the brass end of the outer cable where it is screwed into the bell housing and then you can pull the cable out through the bell housing.
You should get yourself a manual and have a look at how it is done.
One piece of advice, if you are removing a shift cable, replace it while you are there.

cheers
Peter C"

Back