Logo

95 Crankshaft Seal

farnsp

Regular Contributor
"Reading through manual and it

"Reading through manual and it says that you need a 382944 seal remover. Now, I'm not complaining, but $200.00 for this tool. Does anybody have an alternitive to this tool? For that kind of money it should be gold plated. Thanks for any insight that someone may have."

"u can either knock it out,or

"u can either knock it out,or pry it out w/a screw driver,or a seal puller,which is like a small prybar w/hook like teeth .pay attn when installing new seal,in referrence to the 'lip' facing direction."

"Thanks jwb, so if I go at it

"Thanks jwb, so if I go at it like any other seal I should be ok. The manual makes it look like it's some kind of special oil seal that needs to be pulled out a certain way.

I've been wondering if a glitch in idling could be caused by that upper seal leaking. It idles good enough to troll with, but after checking everything else, cant seem to get a good smooth low idle. Any thoughts about this would be much appreciated. Thanks."

"those seals can def cause idl

"those seals can def cause idle prob's...if u have oil condensate under flywheel,the seal is suspect.however,if u can troll w/it,..prob not causing your problem.That engine has alot of years on it,...so it may not run like a brand new one.There is a stator plate that can wear,and cause erratic low speed igntion prob's,as well as carb adjustments that could be ,..'out of optimum'..try adjusting carb leaner,and see if that helps..If u are familiar w/the stator plate,...there are modules avail,that u install,and u remove,the points...they work VERY well,and play in stator has little effect on them...i have installed many.they are about 50.00. for the set of 2."

"jwb, thanks, this stator set-

"jwb, thanks, this stator set-up sounds pretty nifty. 50 big ones, heck I spent that much for the last tune-up I did. This upgrade is reversible, I can go back to original if I saw fit?

I was snooping around the carb today and was looking for air leaks with carb cleaner, and the only spot that caused any difference in rpm was the throttle shaft going into the housing. I did'nt feel any play, but spay carb cleaner at it and bogged right down. The manual says the throttle shaft is staked in, and to get a new housing. The manual also says it's "possible" to get it out. Any advice there? Thanks for the help."

"u can easily go back to point

"u can easily go back to points...the points are just removed,and modules are installed...nothing else is removed.they may not make any diff,if your prob is not ignition.dont worry about the throttle shaft,unless there is an obvious problem,..i get the modules from sierra,..which u can prob get,on this site.."

"jwb, thanks, I'd like to

"jwb, thanks, I'd like to look at these modules. Do they have a name? Without a sierra book in front of me, I'd need something to go on. Thanks for all your advice/help. Ignition modules?"

Back