Logo

Which tachbs will work for my 1986 merc 115

jon

Regular Contributor
" Hi,
I was at a couple

" Hi,
I was at a couple of the local shops today trying to pick up a teleflex tach for my 1986 merc 115. All the models listed on the pamphlets that come with the tach's are I/O, and smaller model outboards (not mine).. some of them read "all outboards with alternators except Force" as far as I know my outboard doesn't have a real alternator, it's got a stator. The most helpfull thing I got out of one employee was that the tach's that go up to 8000 RPM are for outboards, but he said he didn't know if the one they had would work.. and offered to special order something. I thought they all pretty much work to standard for marine - off an ignition coil... Any comments on what will work, and what I need to look for in the future would be great,

Thanks,

Jon "

" The stator on your engine is

" The stator on your engine is actually an alternator. An alternator generates alternating current, which through a rectifier or voltage regulator converts this voltage to a DC current, used to charge the battery. In short these alternator tachs will work on your outboard.
Tom "

Back