Logo

70 HP Johnson Year modelNo spark

R

Randy Cornwell

" I have a 70 HP Johnson, Mode

" I have a 70 HP Johnson, Model #J70ELCNB, Serial number J5680401. I am not sure what year model this is. The motor has been sitting for about two years. I took it out and ran about 15 gallons of gas through it and it ran beautifully. This weekend, I ran another 5 gallons of gas through it starting and stopping several times (I was fishing). Then all of a sudden I tried to crank it and it would turn over but no fire. I am getting no fire to any of the three plugs. Any suggestions? "

"Randy.... OMC's code is t

"Randy.... OMC's code is the word "INTRODUCES" where each letter stands for a number from 1 to 0. The CN in your model number stands for 82, therefore your engine is a 1982 model.

Okay, no ignition....Look at the rubber connector plugs leading from the powerpack. You'll see one plug that has a black wire with a yellow stripe (black/yellow). Carefully (CAREFULLY) remove that wire, then using the ignition switch, crank the engine. If you now have ignition, in all probability you have a internally shorted ignition switch.... a common problem. Of course it could be a short elsewhere but it's usually the switch.

If you have ignition with the above test, to double check the switch.... re-insert that black/yellow wire at the pack plug, then remove the black/yellow wire from the back of the ignition switch, and again crank the engine as above. If you still have ignition, you absolutely have a bad shorted ignition switch.

If you still have no ignition after removing the black/yellow wire from that powerpack plug, I would strongly suspect that the powerpack has failed and will require replacing.

Joe
"

"I received a reply from Randy

"I received a reply from Randy via e-mail pertaining to his problem and thought I would enter it here just to show that we do fix something every once in awhile <grin>. Randy's e-mail as follows:
Joe,

Just wanted to let you know that your analysis today on my "70 HP Johnson - Year Model?-No Spark" problem was exactly correct. I did as you instructed and disconnected (it took a little bit of finesse) the black/yellow wire out of the power pack plug. The engine fired right up. I reconnected everything and disconnected the b/y wire at the ignition switch and again it fired up and ran like a new one. I have a bad ignition switch as you suspected. Thanks so much for your help and advice. It is great you are providing your expertise to us.

Regards,

Randy Cornwell

I thought that was nice of him to let us know of his appreciation.

Joe
"

Back