Logo

Pivot tube steering rod frozen

J

jake segers

anyone have a problem with a

anyone have a problem with a frozen steering rod that passes through the pivot tube or tilt tube on a 200 hp hohnson. how do you get it out?

" Jake, If penetrating oil do

" Jake, If penetrating oil does not have a positive effect, try a propane torch. Heat it gently and tap it out. You also may be able to twist the cable with a wrench.

Remember there is a fuel line nearby as well as electrical and other cables. You don't want to burn 'em. "

" Oh yeah, a real "fun&#34

" Oh yeah, a real "fun" job. Spray the output end of the tube really well with a good penetrant... WD-40 bites, Liquid Wrench is slightly better, PB-Blaster or Kroil is excellent, and Mouse Milk is the holy grail. Everyone who maintains a salwater outboard should try Mouse Milk. Let it sit for a week, and spray more on each day. Then try tapping it out. I once had very good success using a long drift pin and a small hydraulic bottle jack placed between the end of the steering rod and the edge of the transom cutout to press the steering rod out. I'd save the propane torch for a last resort, but yeah, sometime's it's necessary. After you finally get the rod out, go to Home Depot and buy a 12" drill bit extension and a 1/2 inch pipe cleaning brush, the kind used to prepare copper plumbing fittings for soldering. Clip the handle off of the brush, and put the brush in the drill extension. Use this with an electric drill to polish the inside of the pivot tube. Finally, when you put it together, buy a pivot tube nut with a shaft seal and grease fitting. There are two brands that I know of, Davis Lube and the Steersman. I've tried both, and prefer the Steersman brand, it has an O-ring seal which is held capitve inside a flycut, the Davis Lube has a seal which is pressed in from the end, and is easy to accidentaly pop out if you pack the tube with too much grease. "

" Oh, and why in god's nam

" Oh, and why in god's name don't they make this part out of Stainless? I've seen SO many outboards with this problem over the years. "

"actually,they do make an afte

"actually,they do make an aftermarket stainless tube.cant rem who makes it,but you could find them."

Back