Logo

Will a Chevy 350 IO from one boat fit in another

R

robert Moffett

" I have a 1976 Bayliner Admir

" I have a 1976 Bayliner Admiralty Sterndrive, 19'. The 140 Mercruiser motor is blown. My neighbor is selling his boat for $900. Boat is not in good shape, but it has a new 350. I just want the motor, but will it fit in my boat? Any suggestion on how to find out? "

" You would have to change the

" You would have to change the sterndrive with the engine, different gear ratio from the four cylinder to the eight cylinder. Was a V8 offered that year? Is there a horsepower limit on the hull (transom)? With a big enough shoehorn, anything with fit, but the project you are thinking about isn't for the casual weekend boater. Do you have the factory maintenance manuals, tooling (alignment shaft etc.) and support equipment (engine hoist) to finish this project? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but, how big is your fuel tank for the four cylinder? How long will a V8 run on that much fuel? Can you replace your tank with the donor boat's tank, is it serviceable? With the change of fuel system, you'll have to design a CG approved system. Will it change the balance of the boat when you drop up to or exceeding four hundred pounds (engine and full fuel tank)in the stern of your boat? Your hull should be Coast Guard placarded for max weight, this will change with the V8. Have you inspected your hull, people start this type of conversion, only to find out the stringers for the engine mounts are rotted out, not to mention the rear area floor boards, more time and cash. Plan three times the time you think it will take, plan four times the money you think it will take, parts from the donor boat won't be worth installing in the finished boat. Good luck, if you complete this project, you'll love the new boat, very fast, but how will it handle at speed, chine walk? If anything happened, will the CG (insurance, lawyers) have anything to say about an unapproved boat? I hope you the best, but yes, it can be accomplished. "

Back